V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Stainless Braided Break Lines

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 12:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stainless Braided Break Lines

Anyone got these yet? I wonder if it improves breaking.
http://www.g35parts.com/9083/osc/pro...roducts_id=727

Old 04-22-2008, 12:52 AM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
i have goodridge stainless steel lines, couldn't be more pleased. way better pedal feel, feel a lot more solid.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:55 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I can say you WILL feel the difference in SS vs. rubber brake lines.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had stainless steel brake lines on one of my cars with all other brake components completely stock. IMO, I felt absolutely no difference whatsoever between stock lines and the stainless steel lines.

I think the difference in feel many people attribute to the brake lines is probably due to other things like new/different brake pads or upgraded rotors or completely upgraded BBK.

In other forums, when I've discussed this with people who added the SS brake lines after they were driving with upgraded brakes for a while agreed that the addition of the SS lines themselves added no noticeable difference in brake feel or performance.

Now, I'm not saying SS brake lines don't have their merits. I'm just saying if that was the only mod you were going to do to your brake system, you'd end up with better and more noticeable results by just upgrading the brake pads instead. OTOH, if you're doing a BBK upgrade, then the SS lines may give you that final few percent of brake feel.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:58 AM
In day to day driving SS brake lines will improve the feel of the brakes. If you are going to take your car to the track SS lines are a most. After repeated breaking, the brake fluid will get hot. The rise in temperature makes the rubber more elastic, affecting pedal feel, thus the brakes become "mushy"...SS lines reduce the mushiness onthe brakes...

Last edited by PR G35S; 04-22-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
$289 seems REALLY high when I had them on my Acura for $70.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:30 PM
I replaced my '04 sedan's brake lines with Stainless steel braided, brake fluid with Wilwood racing grade and installed slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads. They still feel entirely inadequate. I loved my 1998 Porsche 911's brakes, stand on 'em and the ABS goes to work until you let off or stop. This car??? Squishy pedal feel and basically can't lock up/continuously activate ABS even when I'm pushing the d*mn pedal through the freakin floor! When I really want them to work I seriously worry I'm going to break something! I thought maybe I hadn't bled 'em well enough so I had them vacuum bled by a brake shop as well. Nope, no air and no improvement.

I will say that other than cracking a set of cross drilled rotors I tried I have had no real "problems", i.e. warping or other component failure. I just find them inadequate.

I'm about to replace my 6 month old Wilwood 570 DOT 3 fluid with ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid and install new Hawk HP Plus pads in hopes of more satisfactory braking performance.

If this fails I think I'm going with Riverside's OEM G37 Akebono system although I kind of want to hold off until aftermarket high performance pads become available.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:37 PM
Sorry, I might have kind of lost my point in there. When I replaced my lines with Stainless it made no material difference.

I believe that most of those who notice a big improvement probably needed to replace old lines that were stretching a bit, or else had old fluid that had boiled or had a bit of air in a line. Bleeding after replacing the lines would rectify those sort of problems and potentially make a noticeable improvement.

My Porsche had rubber lines and the brakes worked beautifully, including during track days. I don't think SS helps make an improvement over rubber lines as long as there's nothing wrong with them, except maybe at the track after they've gotten really really hot but I don't really think even then.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what is wrong with you guys? is 60-0 in 110 ft not good enough?

Old 06-16-2008, 06:54 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
I think he's talkin about his 2004 G35 Sedan, i am quite happy with my 07 brakes even under heavy load and high speeds.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
I think he's talkin about his 2004 G35 Sedan, i am quite happy with my 07 brakes even under heavy load and high speeds.
Yep, I don't have 13" rotors, I think mine are 11.4" or something like that. They're really pretty small.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:17 AM
RCK
Yes indeed, the OEM 13.5" rotors on the 07 Sport are awesome! In the 11 months I've driven my G, I've come to think of the brakes as an underrated and underreported feature. They make a huge difference in how assertively you can drive. I love it!

Old 06-18-2008, 12:58 AM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Sagemark
I replaced my '04 sedan's brake lines with Stainless steel braided, brake fluid with Wilwood racing grade and installed slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads. They still feel entirely inadequate. I loved my 1998 Porsche 911's brakes, stand on 'em and the ABS goes to work until you let off or stop. This car??? Squishy pedal feel and basically can't lock up/continuously activate ABS even when I'm pushing the d*mn pedal through the freakin floor! When I really want them to work I seriously worry I'm going to break something! I thought maybe I hadn't bled 'em well enough so I had them vacuum bled by a brake shop as well. Nope, no air and no improvement.
i have the hawks HPS with rotora slotted rotors and they are not good at all. they do not grab at all. i always brake far away b/c i dont want to end up having to brake last minute and rear end someone. on my next brake pad job im gonna get either EBC green stuff or Project Mu

Old 06-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by Mr. Samster
i have the hawks HPS with rotora slotted rotors and they are not good at all. they do not grab at all. i always brake far away b/c i dont want to end up having to brake last minute and rear end someone. on my next brake pad job im gonna get either EBC green stuff or Project Mu
I did not find the Hawk HPS to be worse than OEM, I just didn't feel as much improvement as I would have hoped and still felt they are inadequate to perform hard stops as well as I would like to be able to expect from my vehicle.

I just got new Hawk HP Plus Racing pads, I plan to install them today or tomorrow. I'll report back how I feel they perform after an upcoming track event Friday. Then of course I'll also see over time what they do to my rotors...