V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

I just got my G35x, LOVE IT, but HATE XM, I need Sirius...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2008 | 08:15 PM
Ok. Does anyone know the answer to this:

If I install this Sirius receiver to an 07 w/ navi, can I have sirius, xm, and xm navtraffic?

Old 05-01-2008 | 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by kravdog
Ok. Does anyone know the answer to this:

If I install this Sirius receiver to an 07 w/ navi, can I have sirius, xm, and xm navtraffic?

Yes, No, Yes......

To expand on that a bit. The Sirius signal over-rides the XM signal, so you can't have both at once. The XM nav traffic however does still work with the Sirius receiver (tested this myself).

Now if you are willing to give it a try, there are a few ways (in theory) that you can have XM and Sirius at the same time. You can place a toggle switch in-line on the power or signal wires for the Sirius receiver. This should allow the HU to see the XM signal again. Now how the HU reacts to the receivers being powered off/on is the iffy part. Guess it depends on how bad you want XM and Sirius.

Old 05-01-2008 | 08:31 PM
Edit: Very odd.......there was a post above this one (not mine), and now it's gone........NM.....it got posted after mine......

See above post.

You actually access the Sat radio exactly the same (not with the aux button...that's for the aux in in the center console). All they did was use a jumper from the Sat radio pre-wire harness to connect to a CD changer (non nav cars have the receiver mounted in the trunk). So the HU sees the new receiver exactly like it would on the non nav models. Luckily this over-rides the XM signal or there would be no Sirius for us .

I still had the XM subscription when I installed mine, so I can verify 100% that it does not work (XM and Sirius).

Last edited by bfranks; 05-01-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-01-2008 | 08:34 PM
Yes - he is still using the term player instead of changer - I had him clarify that - you lose the trunk changer, not the player in the dash. Recording ability to the HD is not affected.

I think you can have both XM and Sirius _available_ at the same time. Since the XM works thru the am-fm-sat button and the Sirius tuner would be accessed via the disc-aux button using two different antennas, I can't think of any reason why not. Not sure about the traffic though.

Buckley stated that you access the Sirius tuner via the disc-aux button since that's the circuit it's on. But I'll take your word over his since you have actually done this.

Al

Last edited by OldPhart; 05-01-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-01-2008 | 08:35 PM
XM and sirius are in the process of merging (if someone else hasn't mentioned this already). Things should be finalized in the next 2 weeks. If the fcc allows them to merge you should get everything.

-Sean

Old 05-01-2008 | 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by Nismo G
XM and sirius are in the process of merging (if someone else hasn't mentioned this already). Things should be finalized in the next 2 weeks. If the fcc allows them to merge you should get everything.

-Sean
Sorry, not holding my breath. There are too many technical things that need to be worked out.

Old 05-01-2008 | 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Nismo G

-Sean
Not exactly.....or even close for that matter. The DOJ has approved the merger, but the FCC is dragging it's feet. Two weeks is very optimistic, but hey....it might happen. At that point it will take some time to see the first new packages roll out which will be very limited since neither company is big on the idea of dual broadcasting. XM more so, since it is has bandwidth issues already. It will take a year for the ala-carte packages to show up as they need to design and bring to market new radios that can receive both XM and Sirius channels. And at that point some of the most popular channels like NFL have already been marked as "Premium" meaning you will have to pay $3-$6 a channel on top of the ala-carte pricing.

All in all it's not the great deal they want people to think it is. And it's definately not the "merge and we get all the channels" situation like some people think.

Old 05-01-2008 | 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by bfranks
Not exactly.....or even close for that matter. The DOJ has approved the merger, but the FCC is dragging it's feet. Two weeks is very optimistic, but hey....it might happen. At that point it will take some time to see the first new packages roll out which will be very limited since neither company is big on the idea of dual broadcasting. XM more so, since it is has bandwidth issues already. It will take a year for the ala-carte packages to show up as they need to design and bring to market new radios that can receive both XM and Sirius channels. And at that point some of the most popular channels like NFL have already been marked as "Premium" meaning you will have to pay $3-$6 a channel on top of the ala-carte pricing.

All in all it's not the great deal they want people to think it is. And it's definately not the "merge and we get all the channels" situation like some people think.
The DOJ approved it in early early april if not late march. It was then passed on to the FCC and your right they have been dragging their feet. If i remember correctly (last time i checked, early april) it said it should be all said and done by the 8th of may...? I haven't followed up on it, but just going off what i remember.

-Sean

Old 05-01-2008 | 10:11 PM
For what it's worth...the FCC has never gone against the DOJ in cases like this, so I have no doubt the merger will go through. I've not seen anywhere that said the deal will be done by May 8th, but hopefully you are right. At that point we will see what happens. From what I've seen so far, I'm less then impressed. And what worries me the most is the amount of intentionally misleading information that is on both websites about the deal. If you look at the front pages everything looks great. If you actually read the FCC filings, and dig down a bit you come to the truth. And as they say....the devil is in the details. I'm perfectly happy never receiving a single XM channel (2 lifetime subscriptions to Sirius), but others will be pretty disappointed.

Old 05-02-2008 | 10:13 AM
Worst case scenario is to just wait for the XM/Sirius merger...I agree that Sirius is much better than XM.

Old 05-07-2008 | 09:49 PM
Received the Sirius tuner from Grubbs this afternoon. Got home from work at 5:00 and the tuner was installed and operating by 5:20. Think I spent more time on the phone with Sirius than actually installing it. Could not be an easier upgrade!! Just follow bfranks instructions with the pictures. Thanks again. Have not tried the Sirius traffic yet - I live in So Cal so traffic is a given anyway.

Depending on signal quality, I may paint the antenna to match the car and mount on the trunk lid.

One question, how do you determine signal strength? Cannot find that in the menu.

Got Howard in the morning and Mojo Nixon in the afternoon - life is good again.

Al

Old 05-07-2008 | 11:30 PM
Glad it worked out for you.

There is a signal strength meter buried in one of the diagnostic menus, but it seems to measure the signal to the factory antenna only. You will pretty much have to drive around with it a few days to see how your reception is.

Enjoy

Old 05-08-2008 | 02:23 PM
So far, so good. I called Sirius regarding the traffic option this morning. According to them, you need ANOTHER box to be able to receive Sirius traffic. Alpine and Esclipse were mentioned as two possibilities. Don't think the XM traffic is worth renewing at $10.00/month.

Had a few loss of signal instances while driving to work this morning. Didn't have with the XM and am wondering if my 35% tint is causing the issue. It's not a metallic tint though. I think I'll try mounting it on the trunk lid next. Does anyone know where I can get some matching paint (Liquid Platinum) in a spray can?

Perhaps someone will be brave enough to see if the existing antenna on the roof can be tapped into; don't think I want to be the first to try this.

Thanks all

Al

Old 05-08-2008 | 02:36 PM
I was sort of joking about the Sirius Nav traffic, but it's interesting to know that it requires a separate box. I wonder if that is the case for XM also?

Sorry to hear about your signal issues. As mentioned in my PM, I only have it happen once or twice a day, and it only lasts for a few seconds (similar to going under an overpass). I have 20% tint on mine, but from what I've read the ceramic based tint seems to interfere more then the metallic. There is one guy on the g37 forums that is having to cut out a square of the tint to get reception. I would be more inclined to mount it on my trunk before I did that though.

The factory antenna is routed from the roof directly to the back of the HU in the dash. Assuming it's not part of a larger wiring harness, tracing down the cable and rerouting it to the trunk isn't worth the effort. Especially since it's not guaranteed to work.

Old 05-08-2008 | 04:38 PM
I think the XM traffic is a combination of the in dash tuner and hard drive. According to both Sirius customer service, the traffic option requires a different ESN from the radio. Not sure about XM.

I may visit an auto upholstery shop this weekend and have the headliner temporarly pulled down. I am interested if finding out if the XM antenna wire plugs in to the antenna or is hard-wired.

If it is a plug in, I think a splitter and antenna co-ax could be used to connect to the Sirius receiver, thus keeping the XM traffic if you wish to.

Al