V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Poeple need to explain the 5AT a little more.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 03:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jeez Jory, I think you want everyone to say the auto the sucks.
Here read this from from Car and Driver:

Another impressive powertrain element is the G's five-speed automatic, which features adaptive logic that alters shifts to fit whatever the driver may be doing with the throttle over a particular stretch of road.

More significant, when the driver selects Sport mode, the transmission will hold the selected gear until told to do otherwise by a nudge of the shift lever—forward for upshifts, rearward for down.
^^ impressive is sort of like 'SOPHICATED'.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoryWLU
Read what everyone just wrote, it shows, no one actually knows anything about this tranny. everything is just conjecture. No one actually knows how this thing was built and what makes it better from mos domestic cars.

Does anyone see where I am going with this.

We are making claims about stuff we know nothing about.
I see where you are going with this, but isn't the same thing true of any car. We all know the upcoming GTR has one of the most "sophisticated" transmissions of any production car on the road. Can you please tell me why? Because if you can't that means it's not true?

That being said, I would like to know more about the transmission

Old 05-05-2008, 10:03 AM
In sport mode, my car shifts pretty much exactly where I would if it were a manual 5 speed, except for the final drive gear. Of course, it doesn't know I'm done accelerating, so I'll give it a pass. If it bothers me, I just flip it over to D until I want to down shift.

Last edited by DRIP; 05-05-2008 at 10:04 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JoryWLU
I have an 07 G35X with 5AT. For over a year I have been reading threads about this car. And it is clear to see that the Automatic is a sophicated and high tech tranny. I have seen hundreds off guys praising the tranny and everyone says the same word. SOPHICATED.

I have never read anything or actually heard someone explain what is so special with this tranny. I finally have to post the thread, and ask.

WHAT IS SOOO SPECIAL ABOUT THE 5AT????

Many cars have tap shift. That is nothing new. I heard it uses algorythms to learn driving style and will change shift points as it adapts to the driver.

I just trying to understand how it all works, and what is so special when compared to a tranny in a pontiac or ford saden.

Just would like to hard facts to back the "SOPHICATED" claims that everyone makes.

can some please teach me.
I don't know that's it's more sophicated (sic) than other transmissions out there. The fact that it:
  • Adapts to the driver's habits
  • Offers a normal driving mode (D), and a sport mode (DS)
  • Offers multiple ways to shift (Sport models)
  • Bangs crisply into gear under heavy acceleration, and shifts smoothly under lighter acceleration (D and DS)

makes it sophisticated, but doesn't make it necessarily unusual.

I like the tranny, although as someone said it would be great if it locked up earlier. Other than that, no complaints. It IS a little weird to have the RPMs so high on the highway, but the engine revs to 7,600, and breaks 100 mph in 4th, so...? Guess I would prefer an overdrive 6th

Old 05-05-2008, 11:19 AM
In drive sport mode is where the trannies intelligence kicks in.

When going around corners, most autos will "hunt" for gears since speeds and throttle/brake input vary greatly. When in DS mode, the tranny seems to magically know that you're going to take hard corners. It won't try to upshift as soon as I let off the gas, it'll hold the gear so I stand in the engine's RPM sweet spot so I can shoot out of the corner. The transmission seems to read your mind and know exactly what you want it to do. Most transmissions will upshift you to the next gear once you let off the gas after you accelerate hard, keep the higher gear in place, then finally downshift when you attempt to accelerate out of the turn, not so much in DS mode. It'll even downshift sooner when you apply enough pressure on the brakes to have you slow down faster.

The paddle shifters are nothing special but thats not what people are referring to when they praise the 5AT. Although I will admit, in most manu-matic modes, the tranny will automatically upshift when you approach redline...this one will not do so. It will automatically downshift if you drive too slow though to prevent you from stalling out.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:28 PM
I'll add that all the other manumatics I've driven take much longer to shift into gear. Hell my 2k7 Camry took almost 2 full seconds to upshift into the next gear. DS mode is fantastic, but it's not perfect. I am completely satisfied with the G35's manumatic.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fecurtis
In drive sport mode is where the trannies intelligence kicks in.

When going around corners, most autos will "hunt" for gears since speeds and throttle/brake input vary greatly. When in DS mode, the tranny seems to magically know that you're going to take hard corners. It won't try to upshift as soon as I let off the gas, it'll hold the gear so I stand in the engine's RPM sweet spot so I can shoot out of the corner. The transmission seems to read your mind and know exactly what you want it to do. Most transmissions will upshift you to the next gear once you let off the gas after you accelerate hard, keep the higher gear in place, then finally downshift when you attempt to accelerate out of the turn, not so much in DS mode. It'll even downshift sooner when you apply enough pressure on the brakes to have you slow down faster.

The paddle shifters are nothing special but thats not what people are referring to when they praise the 5AT. Although I will admit, in most manu-matic modes, the tranny will automatically upshift when you approach redline...this one will not do so. It will automatically downshift if you drive too slow though to prevent you from stalling out.
The awesome cornering is due to a lateral g sensor apparently. Here is a quote from a review,

As I was slowing down to enter a corner, I was about to take it out of automatic so I could down shift, but the automatic beat me to it and selected to gear that I would have chosen. This was due to the fact that there is a lateral G-force sensor telling the computer that you are doing some hard cornering, so the correct gear is selected for you to accelerate out of the corner as efficiently as possible.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
^1 Where'd that review come from? I think it's more likely that the G downshifted as he/she slowed down for the corner. What's more likely, a "G sensor" that somehow can magically tell the difference in the G forces in different speed corners, vs. the ECM understanding "the driver has slowed down to 30, I'll shift down to 3"...?

Last edited by G35Now!; 05-05-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:58 PM
Any possibility that the down-shifting could be attributed to an "intelligent" learning of the drivers pre-dispositions.

Ex: My girlfriend takes the car 1 or 2 days in a row every few weeks. As soon as I am back behind the wheel I definitely feel a difference for the first 15-30 miles.

Can anyone give any more info on this? It could be all in my head, as sometimes I am called crazy.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G35Now!
^1 Where'd that review come from? I think it's more likely that the G downshifted as he/she slowed down for the corner. What's more likely, a "G sensor" that somehow can magically tell the difference in the G forces in different speed corners, vs. the ECM understanding "the driver has slowed down to 30, I'll shift down to 3"...?

This site, http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/I.../Index2007.htm
I like their picture galleries, they're all standardized and one of the few sites that has shots of the backseats in the right angle.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Yeah I've read that somewhere before, something about how when the g's are decreasing, the car assumes you're exiting a turn and will downshift.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:47 AM
i like when it goes vroom vroom

Old 06-12-2008, 05:58 PM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by MIA BlazinVQ
SOPHICATED FTW!
LMAO

Old 06-12-2008, 10:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In DS mode, the car definitely downshifts when you brake hard. I don't know if it's from a "G force sensor" or not, but it's pretty cool.

Things I like about the tranny: It's very fun for an auto when driving fast. Paddle shifts shift quickly (more so than any other auto with paddles I've driven), gearing is excellent for acceleration, rev match shifts, etc.

Things I don't like:
1. It shifts out of first too fast. If you take a right turn(or uturn), then floor the car, it'll short shift at like 5k in 1st, then at redline in 2nd.
2. 2 to 3 "bang" hard shift when at 1/2 throttle with paddle shifts.
3. Needs a 6th gear for highway use or a wider 5th
4. Double downshift when you floor the car. It downshifts once, then again before hitting the "proper" gear. Other regular autos I've driven had no problem going right from 4th (OD) to 1st.

Bottom line: It's great, but definitely not "perfect."

Old 06-13-2008, 12:51 AM
In DS mode the car uses a plethora of sensors to guess at what the desired shifting behavior is:

1. Lateral AND longitudinal G-sensors -- the car knows if you are mid-corner and how quickly you are accelerating or decelerating.

2. Steering wheel input -- the car knows how far you are turning the wheel and in which direction.

3. Throttle and brake position sensors -- the car knows how much gas you are applying and how much brake you are applying.

These sensors, combined with vehicle speed and engine data, give the transmisison an advantage in determining the desired gear ratio for the conditions. For example, if the car is under lateral G load with the steering wheel turned 45 degrees to the right, and the car sees the driver straightening the wheel and applying more throttle, it is apparent to the transmission that the driver is exiting a corner. Similarly, if the car is accelerating in a straight line and suddenly the brakes are applied, followed by steering input and then a transition off the brakes and onto the throttle, the car can discern that the driver is likely entering and progressing through a corner.

Most cars do not have this level of sophistication in their transmissions. I'm too lazy to quote my sources for this information but it is in various Infiniti marketing brochures.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Poeple need to explain the 5AT a little more.