V36 Interior, Exterior & Lighting Interior & Exterior - Tech, Modifications, Lighting, Gauges and More

Black chrome concerns

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black chrome concerns

Hey all,

New poster here but I've been browsing and looking around for a long time. As of late ive become pretty interested on "blacking out" my grille, door trim, rear spoiler, and mt Fuji emblem on my trunk. I went to the guy I use to paint/fix my cars, and he said that process of de chroming the original parts could melt the plastic and would be pretty difficult to do. I asked him about just painting the front grille black and he said that the paint would chip from rocks flying at the car while driving. I know quite a few members have blacked out parts of their cars on here so I'm wondering, how did you guys do it?

Old 01-04-2010, 01:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
first thing you do is find somebody else to do your work lol. You dont de chrome plastic pieces. All you do is scuff the chrome and any real painter knows the process of painting plastic pieces. If you bring it to a person who knows what they are doing there should be no problems after paint.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EnviedG35
first thing you do is find somebody else to do your work lol. You dont de chrome plastic pieces. All you do is scuff the chrome and any real painter knows the process of painting plastic pieces. If you bring it to a person who knows what they are doing there should be no problems after paint.
Oh, I thought you had to stick the chrome in some sort of acid to remove it, which I think was my painters main concern. Apparently chroming plastic isn't exactly an easy task. Painting the parts black might end up being the way to go, although I'm not sure its the best idea in the long run because I'll just have to keep getting them repainted.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just bring them to a reputable place and have them painted. Its not as hard as it seems. I had my grille painted black over a year ago and it looks as good today as the day it was painted. Most cant even tell it was painted and think it is a factory grille.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
First, go somewhere compeltely differnet. That guy is a dumb ass.

It is not real chrome, just a spray on. You simply scuff it like any other surface and paint on top. Many many people have done it and it will be fine. I had black grill for 3 years on my G35 and got maybe 5 rock chips. The chrome can actually chip too.