V36 Interior, Exterior & Lighting Interior & Exterior - Tech, Modifications, Lighting, Gauges and More

HALO 6000K HID Fog Conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HALO 6000K HID Fog Conversion

I thought I would share my new fog light upgrade to 6000K HID. I recently switched my stock headlight bulbs over to GaraX 6000K bulbs and couldn’t stand the look of the Halogen fogs in the headlight housing so I went out and searched for a 6000K 9006 HID conversion kit and found the following.

HALO Tokyo, Japan
6000K 9006 H4
HID Xenon Fog Conversion Kit 35W
www.energyspeed.com - $155.99

The install was very simple. I removed both the stock air boxes and removed the stock 9006 Halogen bulbs by simply twisting the bulb holder (socket) to get it to release. Once I had the stock bulb and socket out I removed the socket from its wire and set that off to the side. I then installed the HALO bulb/socket into the headlight and twisted to lock it into place. I then carefully removed the plastic clips/pins that hold the rubber seal along the edge of the engine bay were the hood seals against when closed. Once that is removed you will see one 10mm screw holding the fender to the body. I removed that and mounted my ballast bracket to that screw with some super heavy duty double sided tape on the bottom of the bracket to prevent any rattle. I then routed the wires so they were hidden and plugged the bulb harness into the ballast, reinstalled the rubber seal and plastic clips/pins that hold it down, reinstalled the stock air boxes and that was it.

I have to say this was a very easy install. I would even say it was easier than upgrading my stock D2S/D2R bulbs to 6000K because that required removing the wheel well plastic. The install took about an hour. After the sun went down today I took the car out for a spin and wow, the visibility is amazing. I used to be able to turn off the stock fogs and not see the visibility/brightness diminish. With the new 6000K HID fogs it is a huge difference with them off and on. They look great, I can’t be any happier. The engine is still clean looking since you can’t see any wires or the ballasts. My hands were pretty dirty so I didn't want to grab the camera to take pics of the ballasts and wiring. I will take them shortly and post them up so everyone can see were i mounted the ballasts and what it looks like.

This was not a cheap kit off of ebay. I was worried about getting a cheap set off ebay so I went with the HALO kit from Engergyspeed.com for $155.99.

Attached Thumbnails HALO 6000K HID Fog Conversion-halo-hid-fog-2-.jpg   HALO 6000K HID Fog Conversion-halo-hid-fog-3-.jpg   HALO 6000K HID Fog Conversion-halo-hid-fog-1-.jpg   HALO 6000K HID Fog Conversion-halo-hid-fog-7-.jpg   HALO 6000K HID Fog Conversion-halo-hid-fog-9-.jpg  

Last edited by docdom; 03-12-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:54 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Nice this looks great and nice to hear that it is such an easy install, this is a definitely something i have on my to do list... can you post a pic of where you mounted the ballast if you dont mind, it sounds like an ideal place

Old 03-12-2010, 01:09 AM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
HALO Automotive FTW! I only use their LED wedge bulbs and currently use there 6000k D2S for the low beam.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Thanks, I think they look great. I knew what I wanted to see and this FOG HID kit exceeded my expectations. I will take some pics of the ballasts in the engine bay today for you and post them up.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts
nice!

Old 03-12-2010, 02:16 PM
I added pictures of the engine bay and ballast location to my original post for everyone that asked so you can see what the final result looks like and the location of the ballast. Very very easy for anyone thinking about performing this mod themselves. I think the hardest part was twisting out the OEM bulb socket and disconnecting it from the wire harness. I have big hands so it was a little tight but I got it.

I also discovered after putting everything back together and inspecting that you can run the ballast wires under and behind the black metal bar in the ballast picture so you don't see those 2 wires coming out from under the rubber. Not really noticable but if looking at those 2 wires on each side bothers you then they don't have to be visible at all. I will probably re-route those wires under and behind the metal bar when I get and install either the Stillen Gen3 or Injen CAI. Just don't feel like removing everything again just to re-route those wires.

If anyone needs any other pictures or information let me know and I would be glad to help.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So, you do not have a projector housing though right? I say this simply because these bulbs are designed, primarily because of their intense dispersement of light, to be placed into a projector housing. This eliminates the light from being dispersed all over the place. This has been discussed several times before when people mod their headlights to only change the buld, and not the housing.

I speak from expereince. However, I chose this route after reading about this myself: https://g35driver.com/forums/media-s...d-fog-kit.html. Either way...looks nice no doubt!

Old 03-12-2010, 02:29 PM
No, you are correct I do not have a projector housing. I did some nightime driving last night and didn't notice light being all over the place. The light goes pretty straight forward and out to the sides as much as the headlights do. If it is going all over the place I don't notice it.

I did read through your thread before purchasing and I decided to go the route I did and I have to say I am very very happy with the results. I think they look great and offer much more driving light than the stock Halogens did.

I will try to get some more pics of the lights at night time from different angles so everyone can judge for themselves.

Thanks for looking

Old 03-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by docdom
No, you are correct I do not have a projector housing. I did some nightime driving last night and didn't notice light being all over the place. The light goes pretty straight forward and out to the sides as much as the headlights do. If it is going all over the place I don't notice it.

I did read through your thread before purchasing and I decided to go the route I did and I have to say I am very very happy with the results. I think they look great and offer much more driving light than the stock Halogens did.

I will try to get some more pics of the lights at night time from different angles so everyone can judge for themselves.

Thanks for looking
No worries! Hope I didn't come across as saying one way is better than the other, etc. Just wanted to point it out. It will be difficult to see the light dispersement because, one they are located in the headlight housing, and two, you can not turn your OEM fogs on solo, unles you wired in a bypass switch, which I don't think you did. Either way, I do like how clean the ballasts are mounted. Nice!

As long as you enjoy them, who cares what others think. That's my philosophy...to a certain extent anyways.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:01 PM
No worries, I didn't take it anyway. I appreciate the input. I have the same philosophy you do, if I like my mod then that is all that matters. To many people are worried about what everyone else thinks/likes and not what they, the car owner likes. I agree, I can't tell the light dispersment of the new fogs 100% because I can't make them run by themselves. The way I judged them is I turned off the fogs at night at a stand still on my street and observed how far out to the sides my headlights went out to either side of the road then turned on the fogs and checked to see if the light off to the sides extended but it didn't, was the same as the headlights.

We are in the middle of a Nor'easter here in the North East so I won't be taking any more pictures for a few days but I promise I will get some more pics of the lights at night time once the rain is out of here.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by docdom
No worries, I didn't take it anyway. I appreciate the input. I have the same philosophy you do, if I like my mod then that is all that matters. To many people are worried about what everyone else thinks/likes and not what they, the car owner likes. I agree, I can't tell the light dispersment of the new fogs 100% because I can't make them run by themselves. The way I judged them is I turned off the fogs at night at a stand still on my street and observed how far out to the sides my headlights went out to either side of the road then turned on the fogs and checked to see if the light off to the sides extended but it didn't, was the same as the headlights.

We are in the middle of a Nor'easter here in the North East so I won't be taking any more pictures for a few days but I promise I will get some more pics of the lights at night time once the rain is out of here.
Nice thought regarding guaging the light dispersement.

Nor'easter huh...my folks live in NH, where I am originally from. I am down in MD. We just had a record breaking snowfall from Dec. to Feb. Something like, 80"+. We had more snow than Alaska. No joke!

Old 03-13-2010, 09:31 AM
I live in the Philadelphia area and we have also seen record snowfalls. We have had 3 blizzards from Dec. to Feb. for a total winter snow fall of over 75+ inches. I am so glad it's not cold outside or this storm would be bringing a ton of snow. I am done with the damn snow, this warm weather over the past week has been great.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:50 AM
You're Despicable

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Those fogs look awesome dude, thanks for the write up

Old 03-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Defratos
Those fogs look awesome dude, thanks for the write up
No problem! I did alot of searching and only found bits and pieces of a fog install and not many ballast location pictures so I thought I would contribute and post my installation process and pictures for members to look at.