V36 Interior, Exterior & Lighting Interior & Exterior - Tech, Modifications, Lighting, Gauges and More

Plasti Dip Rear diffuser and window trim DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 06:01 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Plasti Dip Rear diffuser and window trim DIY

So, a few weeks ago I wrapped my window trim in matte black vinyl. It came out really well But, there were a few tiny bubbles and when I was driving around 90 MPH a few days ago, I guess the wind got under a part of it and made a small tear. I have been reading a ton about plasti dip and how its so great for grills. So I decided to give it a shot.. I only had time for one piece of trim but the process is the same for all, I masked off the mirror, window and door making sure to cover the rubber. Then cleaned the trim, then sprayed 3 generous coats. It looks just as good as the vinyl (if not better) and is way cheaper! Here are a few pics.. I took some of the mask off but idk where they went..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I will take some better ones tomorrow..

I also found another great use for the stuff! I have been in the market for a rear diffuser for a while because im going with the aggressive look. Im getting my bumpers repainted (front shaved for no front plate) after the winter and decided to do a black diffuser in the back with plasti dip to see how it looks. Before buying an expensive diffuser. For anyone on a budget, who wants the look and is nervous about painting their car, This took me 45 minutes and you can peel it off in 3 seconds if it comes out badly!!! Here is the process I used.

1- Take off your plate. Tape off the indented area. I went to the spot where it just stats to level out. you can see in these pictures how i did it. on the round corners, use about 7-8 pieces of tape (painters tape) to build the curve. On the sides, where it slopes down and the indented area fades into the rest of the bumper, just use a strait piece of tape and tape until the underside of the pumper. Also, don't forget to mask off the exhaust tips.

2- Do around 3-4 even coats making sure to get above the mufflers and the under side of the bumper. Then, just wait the recommended amount of time.

3- Now comes the hard part. Taking of the tape.. Because you are working on a smooth surface, the rubber property of the plasti dip is going to want stick to the tape and come with it. So, you have to pull the tape up and away from the spot its masking quick! There will be a few spots that get pulled along with the tape but we will fix that later.

4- to fix any spots that got messed up when taking of the tape, just put a small piece of tape along the original edge, apply a quick spray of plasti dip and your all set!

It should look like this when your done (i used my real camera for these instead of my phone.)

Old 11-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
Nice job! Hopefully it's durable. When removing tape, I heard some people use X-acto knives to lightly cut a separation.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:31 PM
that would probably be a good idea in a small application but on the diffuser i was afraid that i would not be able to make a strait line.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:14 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks good!

Old 11-24-2010, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does this stuff really just peel off? With no damage to the original finish? I have a can - but used it for some metal work outdoors....

Old 11-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the pics! Great job, I have an IP sedan and always thought about doing that. Was 2 cans enough?

Old 11-24-2010, 07:29 PM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
looks nice. You should take some daytime pics. And black out your roof!

Old 11-24-2010, 09:05 PM
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
this stuff is the easiest to work with.painting for dummies i did it on my door trim works great

Old 11-24-2010, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have a DIY on how to take the windows' trims off to paint? thankx

Old 11-24-2010, 10:09 PM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
^ he masked off the whole car. Didn't remove them

Old 11-24-2010, 10:52 PM
Here is a daytime pic.. only one I was able to take today while I was getting her washed. It held up through the wash btw.. and yes I normally do it my self but I had a free coupon and this place is great but usually like 45 bucks for a wash lol. And yeah, I masked off my car.. no need to take it off.. but I masked way to much.. I thought the plasti dip would spray wide when its actually very accurate.. better safe then sorry I guess. and OMG I know!!!!! Roof and headlights are begging to be painted. I think both have to wait till spring though. When the time comes, I am doing the headlights matte black with IP projector shroud and the roof gloss black with a gloss black stillen roof spoiler. I have a great excuse to do the roof too because there is a small deep dent that cant be popped so it needs body work and repaint anyway! Here is the pic..

I have seen some people do it so I think im going to plasti dip these rims for the winter as my new warm weather rims are going to be varrstoens.

Here is some more plasti dip work.. I painted my grill and sold it to my friend with a g37. I charged him 200 for it plus his grill in return which is in better shape then mine was before paint.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:17 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Very cleverly done! looks great! would like to see how it holds up after a few weeks/months so keep us posted, its a cheap quick way but if it doesnt last long it might be a pain to keep redoing it.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
damn kinda ripped your friend for 200 and a stock grill. for an extra 75 he could have had an OEM midnight grill and kept the other as a backup. haha. but nicely done.

And Arent the G37 grills different?!

Old 11-25-2010, 01:30 AM
Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts
I plasti dipped my rear valence not too long ago. It wasn't that noticeable because my car is BS

Old 11-25-2010, 01:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
looks good! did you plastidip the chrome peice on the trunk too?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Plasti Dip Rear diffuser and window trim DIY