V36 Interior, Exterior & Lighting Interior & Exterior - Tech, Modifications, Lighting, Gauges and More

Interior Leak!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior Leak!

I own a 2007 Infinti G35x, everytime it rains (mostly hard rain) there seems to be a leak in the interior of my foot spot. On the drivers side it drips right onto the left foot rest in the weld. I cannot seem to replicate it with pouring water in all directions on the car and i tried pouring water through the A pillar intake, but still no solution. Please help! My car smells like a pile of mold!

Old 07-15-2017, 11:02 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Check your cabin air filter and see if it's wet, might be getting air in through the duct work. Also possibly a bad windshield seal, do you know if it's ever been replaced? Lastly I would check everything around the brake power booster on the firewall, I think there's a single opening that needs to be plugged, it should have a big rubber plug in it that might be missing. As for mildew cleanup, first thing is to get a fan in there and completely dry the area, auto carpet is typically an olefin-type material that is resistant to damned near everything if you have any surface mildew use a bleach-water solution to kill any spores (test in an inconspicuous location like under the seats for colorfastness).

What condition is your driver window seal? What condition is the engine bay gasket around the brake booster/abs compartment? Has the vehicle ever been in a major accident and does it have a salvage/rebuild title?

Old 07-15-2017, 12:08 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
If you're getting that much water that frequently, you probably have standing water in your floor pan. The pan is not flat, it has wells filled with foam blocks. Likely why you can't seem to conquer the mildew odor (or worse, mold). Once you solve the leak issue, I would pull up the carpet in order to really take care of the skankiness.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:28 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
Its your sunroof drains, where they go through the firewall.. Its a huge pain in the *** to replicate it.. I sat in my car while my dad poured water on my car with a hose to replicate it, nothing it was dry.. We had a hard rain a couple days later and there was a pool under the styrofoam on my floor by the dead pedal (i had my carpet pulled up and foam out).. I just dryed everything up and put it all back together.. lol To much of a pain to fix.. Im over finding leaks in my car.. It doesnt smell yet so im fine with it until then lol

Last edited by Frankieg35; 07-15-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-02-2023, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Coupe
I'm confused. Sunroof seal is designed to be airtight and watertight.

If the seal has gone bad, or hardened, why not replace it ?

The channel drains are only for when the sunroof is accidentally left partially open, or tipped open.

My 2004 coupe sunroof may have a little wind noise, but I've never noticed a water leak. Front drain holes are clear and dry.

Has anyone replaced a leaky sunroof seal ?

Cliff
2004 G35 coupe, 195K.
Original owner

Old 02-06-2023, 04:25 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Sunroof drains are part of the normal operation when a sunroof is in the closed position, it is NOT a 100% waterproof seal around the thing when it's closed, there is a significant amount of droplets that end up in the sunroof channel pan that need to drain out.

Old 02-24-2023, 10:03 PM
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
G35x Base
Originally Posted by cleric670
Sunroof drains are part of the normal operation when a sunroof is in the closed position, it is NOT a 100% waterproof seal around the thing when it's closed, there is a significant amount of droplets that end up in the sunroof channel pan that need to drain out.
Yep, there is a good chance of the drain tube leaking where it connects to the drain tube. It can also leak at the goofy piece that connects it to the firewall. Safest bet is to silicone seal the tubing at the top, and then reroute a new length of tubing to exit through the same hole at the A/C evaporator drain under the passenger side carpet. I used a 3/8" brass barbed fitting to connect the new tubing to the old, then used a plastic T fitting to connect the 2 lengths together into a common drain. Had a big storm roll through yesterday and dump a bunch of rain, checked the floors today and they were nice and dry. The tubing size you need is 3/8" inside diameter. It's somewhat flexible, but can be difficult to position. I fit it all together and then ran the engine and blasted the heat on high towards the foot wells. This made the tubing easy to move into position and also helped dry out footwells.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.