V36 Interior, Exterior & Lighting Interior & Exterior - Tech, Modifications, Lighting, Gauges and More

Rosewood panel loose

Old 03-15-2018, 11:09 PM
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts
Rosewood panel loose

I just noticed that the rosewood panel (it really feels like nothing more than laminated 'something') on the passenger door is very loose. Almost like it's come un-glued through the middle. The ends feel secure so it's not like it's should fall off.

How is this normally held in place ? Anyone ever seen this and if so, were you able to fix it ?

Old 03-16-2018, 10:32 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Probably contact adhesive, you can temporarily fix it with gorilla super glue on the edges but if you can get it off without damaging it then just re-spray the panel in contact adhesive again and reapply that laminated wood.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:36 PM
I will go straight for contact adhesive when I get around to taking care of this. A couple of concerns are, a) removing the entire piece (not sure how it's attached at the ends) and b) using an adhesive that's suitable for the lamination. I don't want to use something that reacts with the material. I might even swing by the Infiniti dealer's body shop and ask.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:54 PM
Finally got around to fixing this. You have to remove the door panel and then the 'strip' is secured by (7) screws. This strip is what is covered in either rosewood (laminate) in my case or an aluminum-ish look on other models. It was still glued well on the ends so I just pulled the two pieces apart as much as possible while our daughter sprayed contact adhesive throughout the center area. "Rubbed" it lengthwise in order to get good contact between the laminate and the backing strip then taped it (clamp-like) for an hour while it set. Seemed to work quite well. Did get some overspray that I haven't tried to remove yet. Not sure if Goo-B-Gone would be harmful to the laminate. The glue manufacturer says mineral spirits, baby oil or citrus-oil based removers.