Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

HELP!!! PLEASE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 01:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!! PLEASE

I really need a help from you guys. I got a G35 coupe for a month now. I am trying to get a aftermarket wheel but I have no idea what size should I get? 18 or 19? I live in Boston, and the road is really bumpy. And please give me some suggestion about what kind of wheel should I get??? like what brand? Pictures would be really nice.

Thank you

yu miao

Old 10-12-2003, 06:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: HELP!!! PLEASE

For looks I would go 19". Now for what kind of rims since you live in Boston with crappy roads, you need something strong, like forged rims.

Try looking at VOLKs, BBS, SSR, WORK, iForged, HRE ect. Most of their rims are forged and look great.

- Don't argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.=P-

Old 10-12-2003, 07:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: HELP!!! PLEASE

There's quite a few questions you would want to ask yourself in picking a particular wheel:

1) Assuming you have 18" wheels on your coupe, do you like the ride quality that you have now? If so, going to a larger wheel (e.g. 19s, etc) would degrade the ride quality. It would make the ride bumpier due to less of a sidewall/less rubber on the tires.

2) How much are you willing to spend for wheels and tires? If you have a set budget you may be looking for cheaper wheels and tires that don't cause such a detrimental hole in the pocketbook if they need to be replaced. However, cheaper wheels may mean they are not as strong/durable because of the way they are made (by the cast method). Stronger wheels (by Forging or Semi Solid Forging processes) like the brands mentioned above are pretty costly and can easily top $3000 for wheels and tires.

3) If you have Brembos, you would need to find the right offset for the wheel so that they can clear the calipers. If all else fails, you could use spacers.

4) Is there a certain look you're going for? Such as, deep dish? Chrome? Or is there a particular charateristic you would like to have? Such as lightweight?

These are some of the questions you may want to ask yourself. I don't intend to make you sound ignorant if you already know this, but hopefully this will get you pointed in the right direction. Gruppe-S has a bunch of wheels on their site (see banner above) and Tire Rack is also a good starting point. Remember one thing, get what YOU like and not what others tell you, because after all, you're the one that's going to have to live with them. Good luck in your search!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.