Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

G35 sedan - H vs V rating, and other choices

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 sedan - H vs V rating, and other choices

Time to upgrade the EL42s at 24K miles on my 2003 5AT sedan, standard rim of 215/55/17. Have been looking at many tires and brands, and while it is wearing me down, I do believe I have my short list, obtained via multiple searches and conversations. But questions remain; would appreciate some advice.

First, some of the tires I like are H rated (130 mph). While I will never actually see this speed in my car, it concerns me that the OEM tires are V rated. I spoke with a Yokohama rep today and he said one should not step down in this rating. Generally true, but how much to be concerned under my driving habits, which are:

1. 70% commuting/family use in suburbs
2. No snow to speak of (Atlanta area)
3. Can be a lot of rain
4. Some not-so-sedate driving, but no racing or wild-man maneuvers. Just a bit of high-speed (upto 100) or some cornering.
5. Important are tread life, quietness, wet grip, some handling, and sturdiness.

Models under consideration, in no particular order, are:
* Falken ZIEX 512. Reviews on DiscountTire are on the low side but the talk in general on the forums is good.
* Yokohama H4S/V4S (see the H vs V item above)
* Toyo Proxes 4
Also had considered Kumho and Avon but for various reasons these tires have fallen behind in my figuring.

And finally, there is the size issue. While I would like to upsize to at least a 225 width, there are issues such as H/V rating and the different diameter (1.6% variation either way with 225/50 and 225/55). I know the 235/50 is nearlyan exact match but I think I want to stay away from going too wide.

I know it is my decision to make, but just wondering where the general opinion and experience points. Please pitch in with your ideas and reviews. This is my first post here although I have been on FA for some time.