Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Using different brand tires in front/rear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using different brand tires in front/rear

I need to replace the rear tires on my 03 G35 Coupe 6 speed (18's). I called the dealership and the price of the stock Michelins is crazy. I am thinking of using a different brand tire, same size of coarse. Infiniti is telling me however that if i use a different brand tire in the rear than whats in the front, the light (I think he was talking about ABS light) will come on. Does this sound right? Has anyone done this?

Thanks,

Old 02-01-2007, 03:13 PM
Brian
The SLIP light won't come on if you use different tires, but you will be sacrificing some amount of traction because the tread patterns won't match from front to back, and the coupe has directional tires. Don't go to the dealer to buy the tires anyways....try www.tirerack.com, or call around to some local tire shops and get pricing for the OEM tires. The dealership is the LAST place I would buy tires from.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:14 PM
It's a somewhat common occurence. Search VDC the forum for VDC. However slight, the difference in size between the new different brand and the PS up front can cause enough difference that the light will come on in curves at speeds as low as 50 mph where it might not have come on up to 70mph. It's low enough to be aggravating even when you are not driving aggressive.

It is possible that there are tires where this might not occur, but I and others have experienced this behaviour. I don't remember if it occured with new Pilots on the back and the old Pilots up front or not.

It's not likely the dealer will provide you with the best deal. As AthensBlueG points out, go to Tire Rack for a good estimate on price. On many occasions, I've ordered from tire rack, paid shipping, mounted at Discount Tire with a warranty and still be ahead of the local price at Discount tire for the same tire. Sales tax here is 8.25%

Old 02-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have actually noticed the dealership is very close in price to others. For the Michelin Pilot Sport (what i currently have), they want 285 per tire plus 25 to mount each tire. Discount tire wants 280 per tire plus 11 to mount each tire. TireRack.com wants 277 per tire. The prices are very close.

TireRack.com however also shows the Bridgestone Potenza RE040 as original equipment (much cheaper). If I use those on the rear with the Michelins on the front, do you think the VDC will go on then?

Old 03-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Received 295 Likes on 183 Posts
okay.. i have the stock bridgestones in the fronts and brand new toyo t1r"s ain da bakk. the first day it felt like my car was outta control and i almost crashed like 5 times. the traction control turns on no matter if it's on or off. it goes off at the lamest speeds on lame a$$ on/off ramps... it's been a couple of weeks now and it is getting better.. about 500 plus miles on the new tires... how do i get my car normal again..????? please help...

Old 03-05-2007, 02:55 AM
Michelin tires

FOR SALE - (2) Michelin Pilot Sport rear tires 245/45/18. These tires have less than 500 miles on them. I purchased these tires but decided to get 19's so I have no use for them. Ill let it go for $350 the only thing is that it was nailed once in one of the tire If anyone is interested.