Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Scrape!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 08:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Scrape!!!

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

What aldo is wondering is will switching to 18's or 19's raise the car any...?

I am not an expert on this but it should i think. That is the main reason all these people getting 19's and 20's have gone with the eiback pro set to lower their rides because they said it looked higher after the switch.

<hr></blockquote>

If your new wheel/tire combo is spec'd properly, the change should make NO difference in your ride height. The OVERALL wheel diameter should remain the same so the distance from the center of the tire (axle height) will remain the same as before the changes.

As an example, if your TOTAL front wheel height was 26 inches and you had an 18 inch wheel, there would be 8 inches of rubber sidewall showing (4 inches on top, 4 inches on bottom) and the axle would be in the center at 13 inches.

When you change to 19 inch wheels you LOSE an inch of rubber so there would be 7 inches of total rubber (3.5 inch top, 3.5 inch bottom); overall tire height would remain 26 inches. Your axle would still be 13 inches off the ground resulting in no height increase for the car.

You don't want to change the tire height because obviously that would affect the wheels overall circumference and screw up the VDC and speedometer.

The reason every body is lowering their cars with the new tires is asthetics and performance; it looks better and handles better too.

<font color=blue>Twilight Blue/Willow, Nav, Aero, 6MT, Splashguards, Clearbra, Tint, Sirius, Ground Wires, EBC Greenstuff...</font color=blue>

Old 12-10-2003, 01:59 AM

So then why is my car like an inch lower then the stock 18s... i have the stock 17s.. i would say atleast 1/2 inch lower if not more...

Old 12-10-2003, 05:01 AM

Even if your car is 1 inch lower than stock, it should be scraping all over the place like you mention. I'm stumped on this one. Some good pics of the car from diferent angles showing the car next to the one you used to compare it to would be the best bet for some help here.

Old 12-10-2003, 01:49 PM

Is your car older than Eric's? I'm just thinking if that's the case, and it has more miles on it than his, that maybe your springs have just "set" in more than his (although I kinda doubt they would settle that far, as you're describing). I know this happened slowly over time w/ my old car when I got *caugh* Intrax lowering springs installed, but not a lot.

2004 6MT (Silver/Willow), premium & aero packages

My old ride (I still miss her; put a lot of pride and joy into it): http://www.n-body.net/registry/john95ga/

Old 12-12-2003, 09:55 PM

Alright Aldo and I were working on the lights on his and my car, mine in garage.. so no pick comparing them but!... i measured the rims and tires:

Aldo:
stock 17's
3.5" tire

Eric:
stock 18's
3.5" tire

Our point is proven now, he is an inch lower... but why???
Someone posted that he should have 4.5 in. tires for the right (offset i think), that if the rim increases the tire decreases proportionately.

What do ya'll think the reason for his 3.5" tire is? Dealer messing around? or what?
Comments?

Peace
-Eric

'03.5 Silver/Black | Prem | Perf | Aero | Stillen Hi-Flow | Z -Tube | Grounding Kit | Nismo Oil/Radiator Caps | Solid Allum Pedals | Diamond Matts | Tints | Valentine1 | Hide-Away License Plate!

Old 12-12-2003, 11:51 PM

Could you post the brand name, and tire sizes for both vehicles? I'll check into it. Sounds like the tires are too short on "Aldo"'s G.

Very stange....

Old 12-14-2003, 02:13 PM

A picture is worth a thousand words my friends...

The nature of the sidewall on the tire makes it difficult to read a measurement properly with a ruler. It's more of an eyeballing it thing...

The tire/wheel specs or a picture will help us all out here.

Regarding scraping, I used to have a Volvo tank before the G. So within a week of having it I scraped pretty hard on a driveway. That taught me a lesson. Now I think the comment above is correct: just drive your car cautiously. I found that most people are considerate when I take turns wide to avoid scraping or go really slow over speed bumbs. Sometimes I even eave people by so that I don't hold them up...

Danation.com - G35C CB & GRAPHITE / NAV / PREM / AT