Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

suspension noob. What do i need for an 1" drop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 04:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
suspension noob. What do i need for an 1" drop

Can anyone help me with the things i need such as camber kit, do i need it? Can you guys also name a few good companies that will do good together such for shocks and springs? What are the combos out there for a nice tight better handling ride? Thanks

Old 01-05-2004, 12:33 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: suspension noob. What do i need for an 1" drop

Coupe or sedan? And if it's a sedan do you have the sport suspension or non sport?

As a group, we need to label our threads or at least mention in the body of text what we're driving.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 01-05-2004, 12:42 PM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

More importantly, what's your budget at? If you plan on lowering your G and want to retain your alignment, you will need a camber kit, otherwise you'll wear out your pricey tires in half the time, not to mention hamper your vehicles handling and driveability characteristics.

Can we name a few good companies, sure they're many, but once again not knowing how much you want to spend, what you plan on using the car for, possible future wheel upgrades and so fourth, throwing names at you won't help. If you want anyone here to direct you in the right selection, you'll have to give us more info on what you're looking for and want.

Just to give you an idea, you can get a set of springs for as little as $150, to upwards and over $250 plus installtion which you're looking at between $100 and $400 depending on the shop. There's one guy on ebay selling a full 4 piece camber kit (you really only need the rear IMO) for $400 and change for the 4 piece and $200 and change for the rear 2 piece. Stillen has the same rear 2 piece camber kit for twice as much. Your can then look into coil over kits, and these will start at roughly $700 and change and can go as high as $2000 plus installation, which once again depending on the shop will set ya back anywhere from $100 to $400+. Alignments can be done for roughly $40-$50 but to be quite honest a race chassis shop would be better suited to perform such a mod as most local alignment shops can only go by and do what the book / equipment tell them to do (or can do), whereas a race shop will know the tricks and techniques to tweak certain components to gain better or more accurate street / track results. These shop will charge more anywhere from $100 to $150 + parts if any.

If you perform a simple search for this topic on this forum alone, you'll get hit with hundreds of ideas, suggestions, opnions, pricing, and where to get info.

"See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a *****, but only enough blood to run one at a time."

Old 01-05-2004, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, i thought i mentions i have a coupe. SOrry once again

As for what im focused on. I want 1" drop. Just enough to cover the wheel gap. I still want to retain my option of holding 2-3 passengers in the back w/ the drop without scraping everywhere and everything if my car is full of people. I am also concened about handling. Lower car = better handling true? With that said, what can you guys suggest to me now so can start researching for parts and info on the,. I also do understand the better the handling for cars also means the stiffer the suspension gets. Our cars are already pretty stiff IMO because i used to own a luxury car. Will i be expecting anymore of a stiffer/bumper ride after a 1" drop and handling upgrade?

Thank you. Let me know if i still need to speficy anything else.