Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Please help me with tire wear /tire size ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 09:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Please help me with tire wear /tire size ?

Background:

Purchased a 06 MT in late Oct 2006.
Came with Sport Package 19" 5 split spoke wheels
Front: 19"x8" and Bridgestone Potenza 225/40/19
Rear: 19"x8.5" and Brdgestone Potenza 245/40/19

Lowered the car with Eibach Pro Kit just after 200 miles. No camber kit. No alignment job either. I got mixed reviews on this

Same story like everyone else. Road noise increased more and more coming to a stop. Damn major feathering and cupping of the front inners and less feathering only of the rears. With just over 9k miles, I might be able to pull another 1-2k before I say to these tires.

I love the look of a lowered G, but am having second thoughts now. Did I add fuel to the fire?

My questions:

1). Thinking about reinstalling the stock factory springs. Would this allow me to get significantly more tire thread life (12-15k total) since this will reduce adding to the negative camber problem of these coupes?

2). If I installed a camber kit, (SPC for example), then could I expect to gain back more tire thread life as if going back to the stock springs? This would allow me to keep the look and have decent tire life. I promise to get an alignment job afterwards.

3). Regardless if I don't keep the springs OR keep the drop and install a camber kit, I was thinking the following. Purchasing 245/40/19 non-directional tires for both front and rear. This would allow me to "better" manage the tire wear since the tires could be moved from side to side AND back and forth. I hate the fact that I can't move the fronts from side to side since they are directional. Is this a good or bad idea? Has anyone done this combo before? Is having a tire that is 41.8 mm or 1.6' wider than the rim itself considered safe?

Some will say that I need to deal with it since it's a sports car, this has been a problem with most coupes, etc, etc.

Since I like the car alot, I am trying to find a solution to this problem before I can't stand it anymore. She's like a wife to me. We are having issues and this forum is like talking to a marraige counselor for solutions.

Thank you very much in advance. Waiting to hear from y'all!