Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

tire pressure sensors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 01:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tire pressure sensors

Does anyone know how the tire pressure sensors work on the Coupe?

Grubbs Infiniti says the sensor is in the valve stem on the factory wheels. That makes no sense because I have aftermarket wheels and the sensor came on once and I corrected the pressures and the indicator went away.

I just had a flat that left me with a bent rim and having to buy two tires (so they would match). The hit was about $900.

If you kept the original rims, do they not think that the valve stems would be changed once you need to buy new tires?

Old 01-24-2004, 04:29 AM
G Kreuzer
Re: tire pressure sensors

Yeah, Grubbs' right ... the sensors are part of the valve stems. The system still peforms routine polls to the sensors every so often. When they (the sensors) do not respond, the 'low pressure' warning light will be activated.

I'm guessing what happend to you was a strange coincidnet.

Clint (THX723)

Old 01-24-2004, 05:04 AM

mine goes off after i drive for a hour or so at the correct tire pressure. I think its whacked.

04 G35C 6mt/aero kit/nav/premium

Old 01-24-2004, 05:22 AM
G Kreuzer

Could they have been over inflated? The warnings will also go off if over a a pre-defined limit according to Grubbs.

Clint (THX723)

Old 01-24-2004, 07:50 AM
Premier Member

The tire pressure system for the G is absurd. Mine come on, on a weekly basis (I have stock rims), I check pressure it's fine, they stay on, I overinflate too 33psi, they stay on, I go to the dealer, they fix it and they come back on in a few days.
I recentley put a set of Michelin Pilots on mine with the stock rims, now they come on more often?

Old 01-24-2004, 04:11 PM
G Kreuzer

Yeah they do sound quirky don't they?!?! I wonder what the real deal is! Personally, I haven't have any problems with them. The three times they came on were legit, as one of my tires has a nail in it and routinely drops below 26psi (the trigger point). I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Clint (THX723)

Old 01-24-2004, 09:48 PM
Alumni****

in my case, i had the sensor go off on me about a week.. lemme tell you, for those who haven't had it gone off, it's a freakin high pitched squeal.. i mean damn.. haha.. totally caught me off guard..

anyhow, i gave my tires a visual check and they all seemed fine.. drove with it for the next three days hoping it would just go away.. i did this since i read on the forum that people were having faulty sensors and had to go to their dealerships and reset them..

so three days passed and the indicator is pissing me off.. i'm thinking of whether to go to dealer to have it reset.. anyways, i whip out my digital tire guage and find that my rear passenger tire is at 17.5 PSI.. i'm like WTF.. so i quickly go get it pumped up.. drove around for a bout 30 min and the indicator went away..

sorry for the long story, but moral of the story is check your tire pressure once in a while, with or without the sensor going off.. and if the sensor does go off, make sure you don't put it off like i did..

David
03.5 Ivory Pearl G35C 5AT Premium (7-14 ~ 12-10)
04 Ivory Pearl G35C 5AT Premium Perf

Old 01-26-2004, 06:50 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. It seems that the entire tire pressure sensor deal is wad of crap.

You'd think that they would work better, but at least I seems that it worked for David at LIU 69.

Maybe the 2005 Coupe will have better sensors, and how about memory seats. The wife seems to like the car about as much as me, but she never puts the seat back. Therefore, I stopped putting the toilet seat down. She will cut me off, and we will be back to doing things her way. Damn!!

I keep a pressure guage in the car and I check the tires every weekend. I have a small compressor (they're about $100) and it comes in pretty handy.

Old 01-27-2004, 09:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All '04 cars in the US have tire pressure monitors of some form. It was a knee-jerk reaction piece of legislation to the Ford/Firestone tire problem awhile back. The legislation calls for tire pressure monitors, but not for tire pressure monitors that actually work within useful boundaries. With any luck, the system is on an isolated fuse. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter