Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Volk GT-7s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 06:34 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Sedan
Re: Volk GT-7s

Are the Volk's clear coated or do they need polishing?

...Skeleton Cru

Old 01-28-2004, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GT-7's have a clear coat on the lip. This does not mean all aluminum wheels do. You need to check with your installer or manufacturer about the best way to care for your specific wheels.

BlownG

Old 01-28-2004, 11:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BlownG,
I'm learning a little more with every one of your posts.(smile) The Toyos will definitely be my 2nd choice. Thanks for all the details. I really appreciate it. I know your wife looooooooves the G.

I didn't know some aluminum wheels have a clear coat. Hmmm, so do all GT-7s have this clear coat or did you have to specifically order them that way?? This clear coat makes the polishing much easier I would hope.

The reason I keep stressing on this part is because my best friend has polished aluminum wheels and he says they are brutal to polish. I don't want the headaches. (smile) I like the idea that gunmetal should be just as easy to clean as the stock wheels.

Thanks again for another great post.

Kim

04, DG coupe, Graphite, 5AT, Premium, Wheel & Tire, Splash Guards, Alum Pedals, Tint, Exact Mats

Old 01-30-2004, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as I know the GT-7's come with the clear coat on the lip (Mike probably could help you more there). They are very easy to clean and maintain. As for the wife loooooooving my G...she has a little more affection for her S-Type )

Old 01-30-2004, 06:39 PM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Volks polished lips are clear coated. This is good and its bad.

The good is that yes it makes cleaning them really easy, as well as helps protect the lip from road debris damage to the sensitive aluminum underneath.

The bad is that if you do get any inperfections in it (and trust me you will - I have SF WInnings and already have minor scratches, as small pebbles always find their way on to the lip) you really cant polish it out.

Non-clear coated wheels are a bitch to keep clean, but no matter how dirty or chipped up they get, you can pretty much always bring them back to like new condition with everyday aluminum polish.

"See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a *****, but only enough blood to run one at a time."

Old 01-30-2004, 08:23 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Sedan

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards Volk wheels at this point, but I won't be buying for awhile so that may change.

...Skeleton Cru