Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Hotchiks or Cusco

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 07:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotchiks or Cusco

I am considering either one of these. I need some opinion. Can someone help me?

Old 02-11-2004, 10:43 AM
IQ9
Re: Hotchiks or Cusco

I have had my Hotchkis for over a week now and they rock. I have to relearn how to drive the car hard as there is almost no understeer. The quality is great but they squeaked for about three days and that has now gone away. The install was straight forward and everything fit as the OEM did. The Zerk fittings at the rear are a nice feature. The cost is nice as well but a word of caution about Hotchkis. I ordered direct from them on a Tuesday and they did not ship my sways until Thursday. The sale rep. stated that they already had a pair built and I would get those-so why the 2 day delay? Anyway,the ride of my sedan has really smoothed out, its not so jittery anymore. There is a bad part of 680 between Alum Rock and McKee that makes your neck feel like you have a pager strapped to it-a seriously annoying vibration. Folks in the bay area know what I'm talking about-its like driving on an old washboard. The sways are great but I don't have the Cuscos or been in a car with them so I cannot say if these are better or not. The price is better but that may mean nothing some people.

03.5 Sedan/B. Silver/Prem/Winter/Aero/Tint/Rims
69 Chevelle Hard Top BB/4.11's/Posi

Old 02-11-2004, 11:45 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the Cusco bar's, great enhancement to the car. If I did not have them and found myself looking for bars right now, I would be thinking about the Cusco's, Hotchiks and EVO350 bars. The EVO350 bars I like the most because I trust the stiffness ratings done on them, their adjustable front & rear and they can be had with poly urathane bushings (but then again do I want to mess with having to grease them offten)?

The Hotchiks bars come to mind next, adjustable front & rear, unbeatable price point too. Just a little leary of their peak stiffness claims, (not a case of thinking their not as stiff as the others, just doubting the really high peak numbers that's all).

The Cusco's were a great enhancement to the car. I got more inside wheel traction (before the LSD swap and adding to the big improvement from the 350Z suspension I'm running). Turn in performance also better (likewise adding to the big improvement from the 350Z suspension). Biggest benefit for me from the bars was the ability to rotate the car with the throttle. It's possible to have some wicked fun, steering the car with the throttle (yes, even with a open diff), I really cranked up the fun to drive factor. Balance at the limit is seamless smooth predictiable balance, no sudden rear end out business, that only happens if you ask for it with the throttle. In the winter time, I would like to be able to dial in a little less rear bar, that's why I talk about how the other bars are adjustable front AND rear.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 02-11-2004, 03:35 PM

I ordered Hotchiks sways last friday for my sedan. I'll let you know how I feel about them when they get here and they're on my car.

Drew
2003 G35 Sedan 6MT / Black / Graphite / Prem / Aero

Old 02-11-2004, 03:38 PM
IQ9

What would give you reason to doubt Hotchkis' claim on the stiffness?

Old 02-11-2004, 06:10 PM

Before Hotchkis came out, I was really leaning towards Cusco and I was saving up. I am pretty sure the Cuscos are good because so many racers from Japan and Hong Kong uses it. But Hotchkis seems to have an attractive pricing at 249 rather than cusco's 399. Its specs are pretty attractive too and one of the most important thing is that the sway can't squeak or it will ruin my mood of driving the car.

so what do you think gsedan35? cusco or hotchiks?

Old 02-11-2004, 07:37 PM
IQ9

3 days of a low hum over slow bumps and driveways now...nothing but fun. Remember that I did not regrease them, the nosie went away on its own. Cusco has a great rep but so does Hotchkis but more for american cars. Hey, a car is generally a car...sways work the same no matter what make or model. Hotchkis are hollow if that lights work fire or causes you to run. I like them and I have the full Hotchkis set up on my Chevelle. I have no complains other than I wish I had not bought them direct as I paid more than I should have.

Old 02-12-2004, 01:12 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

IQ9 (Gfreak)
02/11/04 12:38 PM

What would give you reason to doubt Hotchkis' claim on the stiffness?
__________________________________________________ _

Well, I'm doubting, not iron clad sure, their are some things that are making me go,.......hmmmmmm (take it with a grain of salt).
1. The front bar ratings do make sense to me, only thing I wonder is how Hotchkis is able to postion the stiffest adjustment hole further away and still allow the end link to be able to reach the hole. I had a hard time getting the Cusco setup in the stiffer setting, difficult to imagine how one could make the hole further away to leverage more bar stiffness and still be able to mount the end link. But, this isn't a deal breaking thing, just wondering how it would be possible given the bar specs aren't different persay so any increase in stiffness over the Cusco and EVO350 bars would be comming from making the 3rd adjustment hole further away.

Cusco front bar 35mm solid 20% stiffer and 37% stiffer
EVO350 front bar 35mm solid -8% softer, +11% and +33%
Hotchkis front bar 35mm hollow +9%, +32% and +63%

2. On the rear bar, the Hotchkis is thicker 24mm hollow vs 23mm solid for the EVO350 bar and 22mm solid for the Cusco bar. So the Hotchkis rear numbers make sense, in the science sense. But, tuning wise, from the point of making adjustments to tune behavior, their a bit over the top. For that reason I wonder if they got the numbers right, awfull high transfer of bar stiffness to the rear. If each setting were 40% less, I wounldn't be wondering.

No matter what, the Hotchkis bars are adjustable and when one truely test's things to find the right settings for themselves, they will find the right balance irrespective of the ratings. Adding in the price point factor and I'd expect to see more of them showing up on G's and Z's, I would try them over the Cusco's if I were buying today.

Cusco 74% stiffer non adjustable (I would NOT go higher)
EVO350 -3% softer, +23% and +53%
Hotchkis +54%, +92% and +146%

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 02-13-2004, 12:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hotchkis sways are in! I dialed the front sways stiffest or 63% and the rears at the softest 54%. The car is neutral now and I can swing the rear much easier then the stock sways. Overall I like the way my car feels.

2003 G35 Coupe 6mt Diamond Graphite
1992 Jeep Cherokee Blk 5.5 RE lift /w 33s
AIM= bkchang79

Old 02-13-2004, 09:09 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How much for the hotchkis?

<font color=blue>04 CB COUPE / WILLOW / PREM PACK</font color=blue>

Old 02-13-2004, 09:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

250 shipped @ www.titanmotorsports.com ask for eric. It's not on the website

2003 G35 Coupe 6mt Diamond Graphite
1992 Jeep Cherokee Blk 5.5 RE lift /w 33s
AIM= bkchang79

Old 03-03-2004, 08:59 PM

So would anyone recommend hotchiks over Cusco?

Anyone wanna review the Hotchiks for me
I am really concerned about the possible noise issue.

Old 03-03-2004, 09:10 PM
IQ9

My noise issue was in the frist 3 days and I have nothing now but damn good fun. I scare hell out a the wife. Get'em you won't be sorry. If you feel bad buy the from Titan so you can sell them later and get the Cusco that many have stated need to be on the car because Cusco has such a great rep. They Do have a great rep. but so does John Hotchkis. Take your pick but if noise is all that is holding you back then turn the radio up for three days and drive like a bat-outta-hell!!

03.5 Sedan/B.Sil/Prem/Wntr/Aero/Tint/Rims/Hotchkis Sways--WHRER ARE OUR PARTS!

Old 03-04-2004, 06:59 AM

I think Jason told me before that the Hotchiks sways have Polyurethrane bushings that tend to squeak after a while. He commends the Nismo over it. Any ideas?

Old 03-04-2004, 10:23 AM
IQ9

Mine squeaked for three days and it wasn't all the time only over spped bumps and going in to steep driveways. The noise is gone and the fun is in. I can regrease them later if I have a problem. They recommend plain old grease nothing special but you can't use white grease/lithium grease. Cost really seems to be the true issue,so spend what you will and enjoy. I know I enjoy my Hotchkis bars.

03.5 Sedan/B.Sil/Prem/Wntr/Aero/Tint/Rims/Hotchkis Sways--WHRER ARE OUR PARTS!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hotchiks or Cusco