Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

How do I make a 05/06 G35x handle like a sports car? (Wheels, tires, springs, shocks)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I make a 05/06 G35x handle like a sports car? (Wheels, tires, springs, shocks)

I need to make a 05/06 G35 handle like a sports car.

Whats the largest wheels and tires I can run on a G35x?

What "total package" has been proven to work to improve the suspension? (shocks & springs)

I'm looking to make the G35x handle like an Audi S4.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:31 PM
Banned
Buy the audi

Old 10-18-2007, 10:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
By doing a search!!!

Seriously, there is a sticky at the top of the forum that talks about all the different suspension options for the X. Just take the time to read through it.
-The only front shock option is to send them to Koni to have them revalved. You can use the rear shocks made for the RWD sedan. You can use any of the springs for the RWD sedan. You can also use coupe or 350z springs.

Wheels and tires are talked about over and over in the sedan forum. Just try doing a search. Most people use 19 or 20 inch wheels.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by KrazyEd
By doing a search!!!

Seriously, there is a sticky at the top of the forum that talks about all the different suspension options for the X. Just take the time to read through it.
-The only front shock option is to send them to Koni to have them revalved. You can use the rear shocks made for the RWD sedan. You can use any of the springs for the RWD sedan. You can also use coupe or 350z springs.

Wheels and tires are talked about over and over in the sedan forum. Just try doing a search. Most people use 19 or 20 inch wheels.
Thank you for your responses.

I have read those threads and there doesn't seem to be a DEFINITIVE combination that is recommended.

Can you please post the all the parts that have been proven to work together to improve the performance of the G35x?

Thank you.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:00 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would say start with the following:

1) Front Strut Tower Brace
2) GT Spec Lower tie bars
3) Sway bars (if they do fit in the front for the X)
4) Coilovers (this is more tricky because I know that there is no coilover for the X, so you might want to try a set of revised 350z springs first?)
5) Better rims and tires (you can at least run a 19x8.5 + 38 all around with 255/35/19)

Good luck man...

Old 10-19-2007, 01:55 AM
would be cheaper to trade and buy an S4.Far less set-up headaches thats for sure....

Old 10-19-2007, 02:24 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Tires, adjustable front camber arms, longarch tire pyrometer to set front and rear camber based on tire temps across the tires contact patch, adjustable sway bar's (front will have to be custom bent).

Now comes that point where one could bluntly point you to learn how to be a better driver. IMO, the oem suspenision on the X is too high and too soft on wheel rates and dampning.

A excellent solution would be Truechice Phase III or Phase IV coilovers ( if you opt for the Phase IV kit, have them make a set that has 1/2" shorter shock body/piston rods vs the 1" shorter fronts I own) since they are heavely reworked Koni sport shock based system that were R&D by the Unitech race team, Truechoice can do the modification to the fronts for the X's unique front suspension just as two X owners have already done to regular Koni shocks. IMO, spec them with 600/475 spring rates vs the 525/425rates they normally come with.

255 fronts will only work in very narrow fitments in offset and tire make/model on the sedan, talking about summer tires of course which usually have a edge profile that is less rounded vs a all season tire. While the most possible tire in the front is desired, clearing at full compression and full extention is a must. I'm getting away with RT-615 255/40-18 in the front on a too narrow 18x8" rim with 45mm offset, but I only have 1/2mm clerence from the suspension upright, with 10mm spacers I had horrible rubbing, so I pulled the spacers.

Only brace I would run would be to install the coupes lower front cross bar that has been boxed with 3/4" 4130 tubing in the right places. Could also add on the coupes two tunnel sway braces as well. Still dreaming of a STB that might deliver on the points that should be addressed on design, owner comments will not move me on that position,...period.

Last edited by Gsedan35; 10-19-2007 at 02:26 AM.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:12 AM
I've done all the mods mentioned on G35x suspension and now back to stock. None of the mods have given it a big enough impact to make me stick to them. Best mod was getting 19" wheels and Toyo T1R tires. Closed the gap w/o having to lower car and better performing tires. 2nd would be Relentless Auto (Wa2good) Strut Tower brace. Almost had the front sway bar refab by Saner Performance Prefab but they went out of business after i sent them my OEM bar. pain in the ***.....

I've gotten too much in car now to get rid of. But yes sell the G35x and dont buy the S4 but buy the S5

Old 10-19-2007, 09:40 AM
From what ive gathered the G35x is very limiting. Its not a performance minded AWD like subaru has.

If your looking to perform get the RWD model G35

Old 10-19-2007, 09:45 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm getting ready to put revised 350z springs on my girlfriends 04.5 G35X so would my take off 03 RWD shocks and struts be a better replacement for her car than just using her factory X shocks and struts with z srpings ?

I put revised 350z springs and shocks and struts in my car and have my RWD take off stuff just laying around now.

thanks

Old 10-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jonE5
From what ive gathered the G35x is very limiting. Its not a performance minded AWD like subaru has.

If your looking to perform get the RWD model G35

This kind of post is getting old. If you don't know what you are talking about shut up.

If anything the AWD G is just as good or better on a track than the RWD one. Have you even ever tracked your car? autocross... anything?

The G35x's awd system is not like suburu.. its not symetrical (all the time 4wd), its better!!! it puts the power to the back wheels most of the time just like the rwd sedan. It only puts power up front if it detects slip. How can that not help in performance driving?

Old 10-19-2007, 10:34 AM
dude, your obviously a tard. I have never tracked my G, only had it a few weeks, but i have other cars.

If nothing else the suspension/wheel upgrade limiting factor of the X, in and of itself makes it not condusive to upgrading the cars performance.

TO me it seems like more of a snow option, than a performance option, not to mention the weight it probably adds.

I would def stay away, if you think its gonna help you on the track.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:17 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jonE5
dude, your obviously a tard. I have never tracked my G, only had it a few weeks, but i have other cars.

If nothing else the suspension/wheel upgrade limiting factor of the X, in and of itself makes it not condusive to upgrading the cars performance.

TO me it seems like more of a snow option, than a performance option, not to mention the weight it probably adds.

I would def stay away, if you think its gonna help you on the track.

You are one of those people who think putting larger wheels (diameter or width) helps performance... *shrug*

Until you actually run some cars on a track and do autocross or some other form of racing, I don't really care to listen to you.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:17 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by my05g35sedan
Buy the audi
What he said.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by Konsole
You are one of those people who think putting larger wheels (diameter or width) helps performance... *shrug*

Until you actually run some cars on a track and do autocross or some other form of racing, I don't really care to listen to you.
Man you have no idea what you are talking about and i would discourage you from dispensing ill advice to other members here.

Like i said i have tracked cars before. In fact one my my co-workers when I worked at NASA was an instructor at Texas Motor Speedway. He even designed his own brake system (designed by NASA engineers, lol)

Of course increasing size of wheels (diameter wise) will lower performance, its basic physics.

Im talking the suspension options, not to mention the fact that the AWD is only offered in the Auto slushbox.

Not to say that you cant upgrade performance some, but the RWD is a better platform to do so. Why do you think the X option is not available on the 350z or G coupe? ITS NOT A PERFORMANCE ENHANCING OPTION!!! Thats why!!!

Given similar mods, on a track and same driver skill RWD will most likely win out.

6SPD RWD > X Auto > Regular Auto

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do I make a 05/06 G35x handle like a sports car? (Wheels, tires, springs, shocks)