Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

TPMS: Rotating Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPMS: Rotating Tires

I have a G35S so I can't really rotate tires, but my uncle's M has the same size tires all the way around. He had America's Tire co rotate his tires and now his TPMS has gone off.

I told him that the sensors are linked to the wheel well and need to be manually moved. At least that's how it was on my 04 G35. I assume the 07 G35 is this way as well. Can the dealer reprogram them or does he need to put the wheels back where they came from.

Is there a preferred rotation method for these cars. It doesn't affect me, but that's just a terrible design. The Vette and Caddy's rotate and the car picks up the new location.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:04 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
The sport you have has staggered wheels .. you can not rotate them.

As an FYI .. the TPMS sensors can be rotated around the car without problems or need to match them to the BCU.

Originally Posted by BrianV
I have a G35S so I can't really rotate tires, but my uncle's M has the same size tires all the way around. He had America's Tire co rotate his tires and now his TPMS has gone off.

I told him that the sensors are linked to the wheel well and need to be manually moved. At least that's how it was on my 04 G35. I assume the 07 G35 is this way as well. Can the dealer reprogram them or does he need to put the wheels back where they came from.

Is there a preferred rotation method for these cars. It doesn't affect me, but that's just a terrible design. The Vette and Caddy's rotate and the car picks up the new location.

Last edited by terrycs; 02-11-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by terrycs
The sport you have has staggered wheels .. you can not rotate them.

As an FYI .. the TPMS sensors can be rotated around the car without problems or need to match them to the BCU.
Yeah I said in my post that I don't care about this for my car, it's for my uncle's M35. I guess I'll have to look at specific M35 info since the G35 seems to accommodate this.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I've also heard about this in another forum.
If the dealer rotates the tires, they re-sync the sensors to the wheel's position.
I was told that it has to do with how many times it blinks... dictating which tire has the problem.
If the tires are rotated at home, this will be off and the light may go on, telling you that the system sees something "off the norm".
I took my summer wheels off when the winter wheels went on and I did mark where each summer tire came from, so I could do a proper rotation when I put them back on.

Anyone KNOW for sure how this works?

Old 02-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts
G35x
If you ever need to pull codes then you just to make sure you remember if tires are in stock or rotated position. No lights came on when I rotated mine.

Diagnostic info here:

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...=tire+pressure

Originally Posted by AesonVirus
I've also heard about this in another forum.
If the dealer rotates the tires, they re-sync the sensors to the wheel's position.
I was told that it has to do with how many times it blinks... dictating which tire has the problem.
If the tires are rotated at home, this will be off and the light may go on, telling you that the system sees something "off the norm".
I took my summer wheels off when the winter wheels went on and I did mark where each summer tire came from, so I could do a proper rotation when I put them back on.

Anyone KNOW for sure how this works?

Old 02-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Freshalloy's M35 forums say it does go on when rotating but it'll go off after a couple days as the sensors re-sync.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:31 PM
tmps is one thing i hate about our cars i wish they never even had tmps.1 flat tire can cost u 100 bucks because, once that light comes on even if u fix the wheel light stays on until dealer resets it and charges u 50 bucks for it...thats what i like about bmw they have that reset button and it never goes on again

Old 02-11-2008, 10:02 PM
Old 02-12-2008, 12:31 AM

I am positive all my TPMS sensors are mixed up from their original stock locations. No trip to dealer needed because there was no error light.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry for this random post but is there any way to replace the bulbs in my 05 dash to look like your 07+ blue version like in treacherous' avatar?

Old 02-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by g35hakop
tmps is one thing i hate about our cars i wish they never even had tmps.1 flat tire can cost u 100 bucks because, once that light comes on even if u fix the wheel light stays on until dealer resets it and charges u 50 bucks for it...thats what i like about bmw they have that reset button and it never goes on again
You're crazy. I've had three low/flat tires that I wouldn't have noticed if it weren't for TPMS. I immediately filled them with air and within 3 minutes of driving the lights went off. Tires were all repaired and never had issues with the lights.

If I didn't have TPMS I would've driven on all three flat which would've ruined the tires and I'd be out over $1g in tires already. My only complaint with TPMS on this car is that we can't get individual readings like the M class, Vettes, or Caddy's get.

I'd like to know which tire is low (sometimes it's hard to tell with our tires) not to mention see which ones are holding pressure, etc.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
The TPMS sensors communicate with the keyless entry module. The link is wireless and the keyless module has no way to 'know' where a tire is at. The only problem with rotating tires is that IF you use the diagnostic port the wrong tire will be displayed, as each sensor ID is programmed to be a certain wheel.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:53 AM

But I don't get an error light. Maybe this is why the pressure at each corner is not displayed?

Is the data trasmitted to the BCU direct, or are there receivers at each location to pick up the nearest sensor?

Does this mean only dealerships with CONSULT can rotate tires on an M?

It sure would be nice to get pressure readings at each corner. Inquiring minds ....

Originally Posted by KPierson
The TPMS sensors communicate with the keyless entry module. The link is wireless and the keyless module has no way to 'know' where a tire is at. The only problem with rotating tires is that IF you use the diagnostic port the wrong tire will be displayed, as each sensor ID is programmed to be a certain wheel.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't researched the newer cars, but on the older ones ('04 G35 coupe) there is only one reciever. The actual sensors don't transmit actual data, just if the pressure is below the preset point.

It would be beneficial to know the exact air pressure, but I guess this warning is better then no warning!