Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Wheel Locks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Locks

I bought my car (05 G35 w/ sport package wheels 19") used from a Ford dealership..

I am about to put some Tein S-Tech springs on it and just realized there are wheel locks on my rims and I didnt get the key bolt for them so I cant get them off. If I buy the set of 4 and key bolt off infiniti.com will that also unlock the ones currently on my car? Or is each one unique? Damn glad I didnt get a flat first. Thanks in advance.

-Paul

Old 05-13-2008, 03:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PrWeaver
I bought my car (05 G35 w/ sport package wheels 19") used from a Ford dealership..

I am about to put some Tein S-Tech springs on it and just realized there are wheel locks on my rims and I didnt get the key bolt for them so I cant get them off. If I buy the set of 4 and key bolt off infiniti.com will that also unlock the ones currently on my car? Or is each one unique? Damn glad I didnt get a flat first. Thanks in advance.

-Paul
THAT REALLY SUCKS ... lol ... why don't you call the dealership you got it form and let them know that you have a flat and they didn't send you wheel lock keys and they are inconveniencing you to no end... (i know you dont have a flat but say it to get their attn)... Tell em your vin number and ask for the keys... if they cant provide them for you I am sure you can get them to replace your locks ... and no ... you should be fine given that wheel thieves dont find wheel locks much of an issue...

Old 05-14-2008, 03:00 PM
I just had the same thing happen when I bought my G last weekend. No lug wrench or wheel lock key. The key is probably on the wrench where ever that is. I called a dealer and they said they would sell me new locks and charge 40 bucks to swap them as they have the oem universal Key. Otherwise the keys are all different and your new key won't work for the old locks. This also means if those are aftermarket locks, the dealer might not be able to help anyway. It's possible their dealer key might work though.

I'm a tight *** so I was looking for away around a senseless labor charge to swap locks.

My father in law is a former tire / auto repair shop manager. Here's the trick he told me. If you have some basic tools you can remove them. Get a 12 point socket that is just slightly smaller than the outside circumference of the locks. It's best to use an extention in the socket as you will need to hammer this onto the wheel lock. Use 1/2 inch sockets. Keep whacking it until it slides half way on or so. Be sure to use a 12 point so there are several corners to "bite" the locks round outside surface. Once it's on the lock, use a breaker bar to break the lock from the wheel and naturally it will spin off from there. A 3/4" socket worked great for me as i recall. Sockets are cheap so worst case you go through a couple, but I did all 4 locks with minimal damage to the socket. It took like 10 minutes with no issues.

If your wheel locks are cone shaped this won't work. Some locks have this shape to avoid people removing them in this fashion. The other option (worst case) is to weld a nut onto the lock. That's a mess though.

Good luck.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:22 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
you can take it to one of those used tire places.. for like 30-40 bucks they can take them off for you

Old 05-26-2008, 05:18 PM
same trouble

I just bought my used 07 G35 a few weeks ago and had the same problem. No key for the wheel lock. I ordered 4 regular lugs from Infiniti dealer at $7 a piece. I then took the car to sears and they charge $5 per wheel to get the locking lugs off and put the new lugs on. They were done in about 15 minutes. They hammered on some slightly smaller 12 point sockets on to the locking lugs to get them off. The locking lugs i had were were just smooth on the outside so this method worked for them. Most tire shops will be able to get pretty much any locking nut off for you. As wel as most people that steal wheels for a living.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:52 AM
I had the same problem (lost the key lug to my oem wheel locks). I did some research and found that McGard is the manufacturer of the wheel locks. So rather than go to the dealer and spent ~$50 for a new wheel locks set I called McGard and told them I lost my lug key and I did not want to replace the whole wheel locks set. They asked me to take a couple digital photos of my car oem wheel locks so they can match the correct shape. So that was it !!! The key lug is on it now. Just want to share my experience so to save people the hassles of going to the dealer and pay big bucks for labor and parts. btw most dealers charge from $25 to $30 just for the key lug. McGard only charged me $14.99 for it shipped!

Old 07-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Thats interesting that they would do that. Seems like if somebody found a set of wheels they like protected by Mcgard all you have to do is send them a picture so they can send you the key to help you steal them.