Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

So much for buying used tires.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So much for buying used tires.

EDIT: Mods, this is not really tech related, so please move where it is best suited. Thanks.

I found an ad on Craigslist from a guy selling used high end performance tires (Michelin Pilot Sport, Bridgestone Potenza, etc.), so I gave him a call to see what kind of inventory he had. He is based out of Nevada, but comes to NorCal every couple weeks. At the time, I was looking for 275/30/19, which he did not have in stock. So I kept my search open.

After two weeks, he gives me a call. From the sound of the call, he was driving to NorCal, but I was out of town (in LA). Mind you, he never called to say he was coming or that he had a set of tires I might be interested, but just stated he had some Pilot Sports to sell. I told him I was not there and that I would first like to inspect a pair of tires before a bought them (which last time I checked was not unreasonable). He then asked if he could drop them off to someone, like a friend or family member, and they could pay for them on my behalf. I'm not going to involve other people so that he can get the tires of his hands, so I said no, I want to see them and if I like them, I'll pay for them.

We talked again after another week, and I told him my price range and what range of tire I was looking for. For three weeks, he never called.

And then he calls today. In the mean time, I found another set. I told him I had already bought some tires. He angrily says "You should have called me, I had some nice sets" and then hangs up, not giving me a chance to respond. I text him back explaining that he doesn't need to hang up on people who don't do business with him. He tells me I gave him the run around because I expressed interest in buying from him and how he brought the tires down on a previous occasion (which I never asked him to do, but he chose to) and I didn't buy them.

Anyways, if you find an ad on craigslist for used performance tires from a guy in Nevada (who goes by Ben), makes sure he treats you like a customer before you buy. I can't vouch for the quality of the product, but the service is pretty childish.