Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

How to properly wheel rotate/balance?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Talking How to properly wheel rotate/balance?

My front wheels were vibrating on the freeway, so I took my car into Discount Tire and had a balance and rotation service done. I don't think they are doing correctly.

I noticed that they rotate the tires and balance the two tires that are going to be mounted on the front. This means that the back tires are going to be unbalanced as I originally brought them in.

Call me ****, but I don't think that proper way to do a wheel balance/rotation, especially on a RWD car. The rear tires would bounce around too much (although the driver might not feel it).

I noticed that they did this last time too. I am thinking about contacting their corporate office to ensure that they are training their employees properly.

The service writer always ensures my tires to be inflated to 35psi as requested, but it's always given back at the pressure i dropped off the car at.
The appointment is useless because I still have to wait until everyone w/o appointment is serviced.

And yes, i go here because i paid for lifetime balance/rotation.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:16 PM
no one knows?

Old 09-23-2008, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTF? This is a weird night of posts.

I noticed that they rotate the tires and balance the two tires that are going to be mounted on the front. This means that the back tires are going to be unbalanced as I originally brought them in.
Umm, if you bring your car in to have the tires balanced, then they should all be balanced. All of them, not any number less than 4. 4 tires should be placed on the wheel balancer and weights should be added, as the machine instructs the tire balancing technician. It's really a pretty simple procedure. If you see less than 4 tires go on the wheel balancer, pull a sales associate or manager aside and tell him what you saw and ask that the other two tires be balanced.

As for rotation, it's a common practice these days, for the fronts and rears to be exchanged keeping the left tires on the left side and the right tires on the right side. This technique is a must for directional tires. For non-directional tires some variation of an X pattern can be used, but is not that common anymore.

Last edited by Seymore; 09-23-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by Seymore
WTF? This is a weird night of posts.

Umm, if you bring your car in to have the tires balanced, then they should all be balanced. All of them, not any number less than 4. 4 tires should be placed on the wheel balancer and weights should be added, as the machine instructs the tire balancing technician. It's really a pretty simple procedure. If you see less than 4 tires go on the wheel balancer, pull a sales associate or manager aside and tell him what you saw and ask that the other two tires be balanced.

As for rotation, it's a common practice these days, for the fronts and rears to be exchanged keeping the left tires on the left side and the right tires on the right side. This technique is a must for directional tires. For non-directional tires some variation of an X pattern can be used, but is not that common anymore.

whoa calm down..
i was just making sure i was in the right before i make a fuss about it..
of course a rotation means to have the tires rotated..

i spoke to the manager today.. and i think the old manager got fired or transfered due to the fact that they were promoting this practice

Old 09-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been using Discount tire for a couple of years now and have been happy, they have always given good service to me and I am **** about my car.
Good luck with them going forward, possibly it will improve with new management.