Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Dealer Brake Service and whirring sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 05:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dealer Brake Service and whirring sound

Okay guys... I need some help here if you please.

Several months ago I installed Satisfied Pro Ceramic pads; these began squeaking significantly after the first month or two. I've been living with the squeaking but recently carried my sedan to the dealer to have the rotors done. The rotors were turned and the pads were NOT replaced. Since then I've been hearing a whirring sound at low speeds when turning, between 5 and 20 mph. I also replaced the RSAs with a set of Falkens in the last 1000 miles.

The dealer claims it's the aggressive tread design of the Falkens, I disagree since the whirring sound did not occur in the 800 miles or so the Falkens were on before visiting the dealer. Strangely enough, the whirring sound reminded me of my old 96 Altima at 100K+, the sound of the whirring, and the feel of it through the steering. The dealer claims that they swapped tires and the sound did not occur, so I've got to visit them tomorrow and drive it with a set of GYears or 'stones, and try to duplicate the sound.

I think the sound is related to the turning of the rotors, I think it sounds and feels like the rotors are rubbing and vibrating on the pads.

Am I wrong? Can anyone guess what he issue could be?

Thanks in advance.

<font color=red>chinee</font color=red>
03.5 G35s

Old 05-17-2004, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dealer Brake Service and whirring sound

Tires are quieter when new. Once they start to wear, especially if the alignment is off, the tread may wear into a feathering or cupping pattern. Tire noise goes up considerably then. Try rubbing your hand over the tread and see if you can feel a difference from one direction to the other. If you can feel a difference, get your alignment checked. Then swap the tires from one side to the other (dismount and remount if they are directional). Good luck.