Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Winter-season tire review, Sumitomo HTR+

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:11 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Winter-season tire review, Sumitomo HTR+

First off, this is not a full winter tire, its actually an Ultra High Performance All Season with a M+S rating.
I have the Sumitomo HRT+ mounted on my OEM 18's in the 235/40/18 size. The smaller sidewall height took a little to get used to at stock ride height, but I've gotten over it.

I bought these as extended winter tires to get me through the more often icy winters than deep snow that Maryland tends to get. We've had some snow/ice the past few days and possibly more ahead and I have to say I'm absolutely pleased with these tires. I'm sure I can't go as crazy and wild with these like some people feel they can in full winters like the Blizaks, but I can drive confidently enough to get me where I need to go. Im able to drive the car predictably in snow/ice and slush conditions keeping in mind Im driving like anyone should in these conditions, responsibly.

They do superbly well in wet roads as well and I've even taken them out for spirited runs on local roads in the early fall...they seem to manage well in all conditions with predictable grip loss.

The tires have 20-k miles on them now and seem to be around 70% tread depth, so I expect to get at least another 20-k miles out of them. I'm able to rotate them, which I have been doing with a cross pattern and then a front to back pattern and they are maintaining even wear. I keep the cold-tire pressures around 34-36psi and I rotate them every other oil change.

I've convinced my mother in law to use them on her Sebring Convertible, to which she has no complaints and I've recently convinced my father to use them on my moms van and my grandmothers van as well.

I purchased mine locally from an NTB for $110 a tire after everything was said and done (they price-matched TireRack.com which was $98+$10-shipping each).

You can check tirerack.com for available sizes