Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Squirrely Car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 04:17 PM
English dude, English
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Squirrely Car

hey everyone, i just purchased some yokohama 225/55/17 tires. the road noise is down considerably, however, the car sway left to right or right to left on the road very easily. the car also seems to oversteer quite a bit. Any ideas. The car feels like it is doing this... ~~~~~~~~

Old 07-22-2004, 07:12 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Squirrely Car

Verify your tire pressure's and what model of tire are they?

Will it oversteer without ANY imput from the throttle?

Is your sedan a sport or non sport?

And is your car 100% stock?

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 07-23-2004, 11:57 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LATERAL Side wall strength and stiffness varies tremendously between brands and models.

http://www.geckermotorsports.com/StiffnessTester.htm

Gotta watch out for 51 psi tires as the THIN ballon side walls offers less than 44 psi or old fashioned 35 psi tires in the same load index..........make sure sidewalls are at least two-3 ply,

Old 07-23-2004, 12:14 PM
Old 08-09-2004, 12:08 AM
English dude, English

Well, my car is a 03.5 6mt sedan. Discount tire was kind enough to take the tires back if I bought something else. They quoted me like $1000.00 for new factory tires. I thought that for that price I might as well spend another 1300 dollars. I ended up purchasing new rims and tires. The rims are 19x8 ADR rims and the tires are 245/35/19. I took it for a test drive and the problem seemed to go away until I got on the freeway. At around 80-90 mph the car starts acting the same way. I am starting to wonder if it wasn't the tires but rather something wrong with the suspension. The day that I got the first set of (returned) tires I hit a bump in the road and I heard and felt the metal sounding pop from the rear end. Back in 1994 I had a brand new Nissan Altima and the sway bar or torsion bar broke and I had the same feeling in that car back then. Do you think that it is possible that this could be my problem. Again, when going 80 - 90 mph the car feels like it floats left to right or right to left and extreme over steer is present in the car as well. Also when braking the car pulls to the right, but when cruising normal city speeds the car drives straight, leading me to think that it is not the alignment, but either a strut issue, or brake issue. Please give me your thoughts on this issue. Has anyone had this problem? Thanks.

Old 08-09-2004, 05:40 AM

i got that after my alignment. then a couple of days later, i found a screw in one of my tires and the tire pressure was at 15 psi. dont know how long i was on it like that, but i doubt that was what caused the squirrelyness.

when i repaired, they filled up my tire pressure to 35 and it seems to have fixed my little problem. goign to get a re-alignment which should fix it completely.

G35s6mt/TSecu/350Z Springs&Struts/K&Nfilter+Z-tube/StillenDualExhaust /6WireGroundKit/KinetixHighFlow

Old 08-10-2004, 07:59 PM
English dude, English

I just spent 75 dollars on an alignment and the car still does the same thing! I made an appointment with Infiniti for tomorrow, but I have got no clue what it could be. Is there anyone out there?!

Old 08-10-2004, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your alignment was fine before - you spent your hard earned for naught. It's usually the tires or the installation. Try somewhere else

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan
14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Hotchkis Sways (M/M)
Polk EX-3500 Tweeters/Shock Sensor/H-Liner

Old 08-11-2004, 09:00 AM

Redesigning the suspension by changing tire brands much less brands and different sizes is always a tricky situation!

Unless you have a PHD in tires and have access to lab/test track data you are at the mercy of word of mouth which many times doesn't TEST out.

I love the comments like "my brand new tires feel better than my worn out tires the replaced" ........they never admit the problems they have at 5,000 or 8,000 miles with cheap replacements.

The Pilot Sport was designed to match the demands the G35 suspension can extert and the converse.....the suspension was limited to what the Pilot Sport could handle at least till the tread was worn halfway.

Old 08-12-2004, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...tramlining.jsp

alls i got to say :P

Old 08-17-2004, 10:19 AM
English dude, English

Hmmm. Interesting. Like I said, after the alignment the problem was still there. Since then I have taken it to the Infiniti dealership and they looked at it. When they returned it to me they said that I would be pleasantly surprised. I asked what they did and they said that they adjusted the preload in the rack and pinion. I took it for a test drive and it was GREAT! I no longer float side to side while driving.

Old 08-17-2004, 10:33 AM

A secret adjustment that is fully outlined in the FSM, usually reserved to compensate for rack pinion center wear.........but it works at the expense of slightly increased steering wheel turning force.

Hopefully the rack doesn't bind in extreme cold weather start up, the only pitfall in making this adjustment in Summer heat.

I readjust my rack about every 80-100k as the pinion gear wears.

Old 08-17-2004, 12:33 PM
English dude, English

I live in Phoenix, hopefully it won't get too cold. :-) If it was a secret, how do you know about it and why didn't you offer this as advice? It is just a little irritating to be on a board and post a question that people have answers to but they don't share them. Thanks guys!

Old 08-17-2004, 02:04 PM

Perfectly outlined in the steering section of your FSM. You haven't spent a week studying it have you?
Such a secret that Nissan chose to make it [FSM] available to the World on Inet.

I used the term "secret" to apply to laymen not fully conversant with automotive technology.

Education is a personal problem and opportunity:

"One of the most common effects of high mileage on a steering rack is center wear. Because the steering is in the straight-ahead position most of the time when driving, the rack develops the most wear in this position. The result can be looseness in the steering wheel and steering wander if the amount of play is excessive. More than a quarter inch of play in the steering wheel is usually too much.

Most racks have a pinion preload adjustment. But if the adjustment is made with the rack in the centered straight-ahead position, it may cause the rack to bind when the steering is turned to either side. So if you attempt to make an adjustment to compensate for wear, make sure the rack is moved off-center before making the adjustment. Also, make sure the steering turns lock to lock without binding after the adjustment is made." FROM
http://www.babcox.com/editorial/bf/bf80060.htm

Google listed 1,970 web sites for the search " steering rack preload adjustment"

Old 08-17-2004, 05:34 PM
English dude, English

Thanks! Your right. Education is my responsibility. I know a little more about rack and pinion steering. Sincere question: Because the rack and pinion steering could bind, is that the reason why car manufacturers make it so that the cars ever so slightly pull to the right? If it is left in the center position, then it would cause the rack and pinion to prematurely fail? I think I understand but not sure.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Squirrely Car