Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Stud Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stud Install

I have 10mm spacers with longer studs that I need to install. What is involved with changing the studs? Do I need to take the hub off to bang out the oem studs? Do I need to take off the calipers and rotors? How do I go about doing this... Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Old 07-14-2009, 07:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just replaced a broken stud yesterday so let me offer a bit of advice (since noone else has responded). You WILL need to remove your rotor (so by default the caliper will have to be removed also). I don't know how to remove the stud, as I didn't have to, but banging on them real hard might work.

As for putting a new one in, just slide it in from the back of the hub, throw a stack of washers on the stud, and tighten down a lugnut and it will pull the stud through the hub, pay attention to how they are positioned before taking them off, and just match that when you are putting the new ones in.

Good luck removing them, I'm sure someone can help you out with that.....if all else fails, get a bigger hammer!

Old 07-14-2009, 07:56 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
Yes you will need to remove the caliper and rotor for either the front or the rear. Do NOT bang hard on the studs to pop them out, you can damage the bearings in the hub that way. Soak them in WD-40 and wait a few minutes before lightly hammering the studs out, it will take a little longer this way but it's a lot easier on your bearings.
-GP-

Old 07-14-2009, 08:00 PM
PB Blaster is your friend, you will probably need some to help get those rotors off too, and the 22mm caliper bolts that will more than likely be a b#tch to remove.

I would make sure and dry off the grease before putting the new studs back in.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Well everyone responded too late since I started on them at 5, but thanks. I sprayed wd40 on all the studs and banged them with a hammer.. They came out pretty easily, then I put the new ones in and stacked washers on them with my old lug nut until it sucked it in... The worst part was getting the caliper bolts off, they were maad tight! The one disc came off easily, but the other was stuck on there so I banged on that a lil to get it off, that was a b*tch too. But I got all the front studs on. I have 5mm spacers in the back but I didnt put new studs on the back, there was decent amount of thread left... Should I definitetly replace them or is it ok... Thanks

Old 07-14-2009, 10:23 PM
I think most ppl agree that longer studs arent necessary for 5mm spacers. Glad to hear that everything went smoothly. There was a point that I didn't think I would ever break those caliper bolts loose......but a few bloody knuckles later, got 'em.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:35 PM
yeah its all about the right leverage I was using a big breaker bar but the only spot i could get them was from laying on the floor pushing up and it was difficult to get that. I don't know why they are so tight, there's no need for that... I have the extra studs so I may do them eventually, but I don't have much time right now, but I think they should be fine, there was decent thread on there...