Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Why volks or any other $$$ wheel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Why volks or any other $$$ wheel?

Ive been into cars and such for quite awhile but never understood the reason to spend so much on wheels.

Im a HUGE audio guy and can understand spending $1200 on a headunit if it has the features I need.

Wheels I cant justify spending the money on yet.

are Volks lighter in weight? Are they able to withstand more punishment from the road?

I found some Volks and Momo rims I like, but at the same time I found some more or less cheaper wheels at discount tire for $150 each

I can easily understand spending the money on tires but not so much the wheels

can some one help me out

Old 09-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
You really need to read up on construction, materials and weights before making a decision. Momos are expensive and heavy.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Im not so much worried about weight, being that I more or less just drive to work and the extra money on gas will likely not be much if anything

What makes them so great in term of construction??
Im not trying to be a jerk....I really want to know

Ive known people to run "cheap" wheels for years without any problems. No chipping, paint fading or any issue

I mean any kinda rim can easily be bent if your not careful

Old 09-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To me... Why spend over 1k for HU when I can get one for 100$ ... It has all the features I need like radio, cd, and mp3, as well as AUX in front. Sound wise as long I can hear it I am good to go.

Wheels are expensive for a reason...

Old 09-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Volks are good quality wheels, that is why they cost a lot. There are many other good rims out there volks are not the only ones. I guess it's how you look at it and your own preference. For example I'm not a big audio guy, I can spend 3 grand on rims, but I would not spend even a third of that on an audio system.

If you are going to get rims that cost $150 each it would be better to just stay with stock instead. Cheaper rims are made of cast aluminum and are weaker and heavier than rims made of forged aluminum. So a 19" rim made of cast would be weaker and heavier than the same size forged rim.

Forging uses intense heat and pressure to transform a [solid} slug of alloy material into the final shape of a wheel. Forged aluminium is about 300 per cent stronger than cast aluminium, yet less material is needed to produce the same "cast alloy wheel", which results in a lighter product. Because of the basic limitations inherent in forging, most forged wheels are two or three piece units. In two-piece construction, a centre is forged and welded or bolted into a spun or stamped outer rim. In a three-piece wheel, the centre is bolted to an inner and an outer rim half. This stands as an advantage of being easily customisable for a variety of widths and offsets.

Casting is a relatively inexpensive way to produce a high-quality, fairly strong alloy wheel. There are two methods used. One, system is known as gravity casting... whereby the molten material is poured into a mold and allowed to cool. These molds are usually made by machining a piece of material on CNC machine equipments to produce a wheel that only requires minor finishing (like drilling or possibly trimming of some excess metal) to be considered complete. The other and better system used is the low pressure or negative pressure casting. Here instead of pouring the molten material into the mould, the molten alloy is drawn up into the mould using a high-pressure vacuum. This eliminates much of the trapped air found in gravity casting process, producing a stronger wheel that is less porous than a gravity-cast one.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Right I understand that if a person is into a certain hobby they will spend the money

such as that $1200 head unit, it has navi,voice control, time alignment, 13 band eq, blue tooth, etc

what features do say volk wheels have that discount tires MB wheels dont?

Old 09-15-2009, 12:28 PM
mt 7 great post

So its about the build and more or less longevity of the wheel?

Old 09-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Received 300 Likes on 192 Posts
Hope this helps a little...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WieeirHHj4g&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WieeirHHj4g&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Old 09-15-2009, 12:35 PM
Received 300 Likes on 192 Posts
This is another one that is sooooo biased but it gives you an idea of what goes into designing and producing a wheel....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qq1YyzWS5bw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qq1YyzWS5bw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>