Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Powdercoat?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 09:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powdercoat?

Ok so I have been sitting here in Iraq for the last year Im about to be home soon.I wanted to get some new rims or Just powdercoat my 17's But has anyone powdercoated these?Have pics or? I plan on droping it a 1inch front and rear on Eibach sportline.

They are the 17 7 spokes for thw 2006.I would load a pic but Im on a gov comp.Thanks In advance and once all the work is done in the next 2.5 weeks Ill post up a nice forum pics of them!

Old 11-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
My OEM rims are PC'ed, but there 19" Rays.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:29 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I haven't seen too many people put money into the OEM 17's, so you'd def be one of the few with those wheels PC'ed. Most guys go 18" or 19".

I def find the 17" wheel to be attractive, but i kinda like the orginal finish myself. I guess the question is what color do you want to PC the wheel and what color is the car?

BTW, since you can't post up a pic..i will. I assume this is the wheel?

Old 11-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its the DG I was thinking Straight Black.I Love my 17's and they are wraped in some new Michells I recently purchased when I was home on Leave.I was thinking coupe 18's but Why spend another 700 on used rims..And another 1200$ on tires.It just doesn't seem worth it and I would love to see what it would look like.

Anyone able to photchop the pic with black?

Last edited by Infiniti25G; 11-15-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:44 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
IDK if you're thinking about gloss or flat black. But if flat, you can get Kyrlon Car Art in black and temp paint one or two to see if you like it.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I painted mine myself... oem 17s:

I was planning on PCing them but i figured id paint these myself and use them for my winter setup, ill get a nice pair of rims when spring rolls around..

Old 11-16-2009, 08:18 PM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by AceG35X
I painted mine myself... oem 17s:

I was planning on PCing them but i figured id paint these myself and use them for my winter setup, ill get a nice pair of rims when spring rolls around..
you did a great job on em, thats exactly what i did, i spray painted mine to make them decent for the winter and throw the gunmetal coupe 19"s once spring rolls around, but you did a way better job than me

Old 11-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Your brakes need some paint too now.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:35 PM
haha trust me if it was that easy to just take the calipers off, it would have been done.. but refueling the brake line and dealing with all that, isnt a DIY.. unless you know of an easy way.. lol.. if so let me know cause ill paint them these weekend

Thanks for the compliment, alot of people who drive by my house.. send me a text and say "The powder coated rims look great!!!" haha.. little do they know..

Old 11-16-2009, 08:56 PM
I did mine on the car. See above picture.

I took the rotor and pad support bracket off, but I left the caliper attached to the line. I just hung it in the wheel well and bagged off everything else. Left it about 1/2 hour to dry and then reassembled it. Used Dupicolor caliper paint. They have both spray and brush versions. Was easy.

You are right though. You def don't want to remove the caliper and leave the lines open for long. Any air gets up into the ABS pump system and you need to go to the dealer to bleed them out.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:07 PM
oh wow i didnt even notice that u painted it... it looks really clean.. like it was suppose to look like that, probably why i didnt notice, so you painted the caliper in the wheel well? werent worried about paint hitting ur body? But why did u take the rotor off? can't u just take the calipers off while they are attached to the brake line and let them hang off that?

Old 11-16-2009, 09:15 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
Just use the brush stuff. I used spray and it faded after a while. Later did the brush on, and it was much better, + you don't have to mask.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Thanks. That's actually the look i was going for. I just wanted it to look new and clean.

Yeah, i was worried, which was part of the reason why I took the rotor off. The other reason was because I could wire brush the rust off, and really clean the rotor up nicely. I used brake cleaner to clean it off. Then i used blue masking tape to mask off the area the pad sweeps. I sprayed the rotor with a few coats letting it dry in between and then removed the tape leaving a clean border.

As for the caliper, it is 2 peices with the pads int he middle. I didn't want the pads painted, so i disassembled the caliper and took the pads out. The pad support bracked I painted away from the car just because I could.

As for the caliper, i got some trash bags and newspaper and taped all around the fender and inside the well. Basically it looked like i was doing surgery as the only thing you saw was the caliper. Before painting, i cleaned the caliper with brake cleaner and a wire brush. Once it was good and clean, i taped everything up and sprayed it a couple coats.

Doing both sides at once, jumping around to the rotors, calipers and pad support brackets took time, but i basically had the whole job done in a couple hours. Well worth it, and 6 months later they still look like that. It's really all in the prep work. If you do a sloppy job, it will look sloppy.

I just have a thing against rusty brakes. Brakes to me are part of the wheel/tire presentation. I just hate seeing a nice set of wheels with rusty cruddy brakes behind them.

As you can see, i'm pretty ****. One of my other cars. Did rotors with spray, but the caliper was done with the brush on stuff.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:59 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
Buy new wheels, or spray your own. It's a fun project so maybe spray your own until you're decided on what wheels you want.

If you like that design look into the coupe 18s from 03/04 they are similar design just a little bigger.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:59 PM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by AceG35X
oh wow i didnt even notice that u painted it... it looks really clean.. like it was suppose to look like that, probably why i didnt notice, so you painted the caliper in the wheel well? werent worried about paint hitting ur body? But why did u take the rotor off? can't u just take the calipers off while they are attached to the brake line and let them hang off that?
yea do the brush is so easy, i didnt mask anything off didnt even take off the rims lol i had 20s and i had room to do it with the rims on and masked off the rims, but i don't recomment that the wheels should come off. use brake parts cleaner, give it like 3 coats with the brush and spray clear coat when is dry. Do em in Black or silver

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Powdercoat?