Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Stock Supension Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock Supension Question

I did a search before posting and came up with nothing.

I was at the dealer yesterday and was informed by one of the saleman that the Tire and Wheel package (T&W) was not necessary for the everyday driver. He said that the T&W package was more for the enthusiaist.
Is there a huge difference between the sport and non-sport T&W packages as far as performance and everyday drivering are concerned?

Thanks.

Old 08-22-2004, 12:36 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Stock Supension Question

Are you asking about the performance difference between the tires used on each suspension or the performance difference between each suspnsion. As you've worded it, your asking about the difference between tires, not the suspension's. Could you clarify.

I do have comment's as performane difference's between the two suspensions. You'll get comment's that they don't really differ, which I totally do not agree with,.......at all. As a exclusive user of max performance tires, I'll take the fifth on all season rubber.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 08-22-2004, 03:28 PM

Sorry about the confusion.

I was refering to the performance differences between the two supensions.

Old 08-22-2004, 05:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tires are much more significant than suspension. Suspension just primarily effects steering feel and body roll whereas tires can generate real improved numbers independent of driver skill.

Tires show the greatest variantion in warm wet braking distances and wet slalom.

A 5-10% difference would be the greatest.

If you are not asking the car for the nth peak of designed in performance non directional tires and small plain wheel sizes will be more economical...............tire and wheel life/balance, and replacements are significant operating cost items.

Differences can be over a thousand or 2 dollars per year or more. A set of tires every year and new wheels every 3-4.

Think carefully.

Old 08-22-2004, 08:44 PM

How about the limited slip that comes with the sport package is that something I should concern myself we having or not, keeping in mind that this will be my daily driver?

Thanks.

Old 08-23-2004, 06:57 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Limited slip is a very very very good addition! I've had it on all my [9] cars since 1971 [Chevy station wagon], 4 Chevy sedans thru 1985, 300zx, Pathfinder, Q45.

Never would own a car without it! So much better than traction control alone [which uses brakes].

The only thing I still like about GM is everything is optional if you can learn the secret codes.
The Nissan VLSD is tolerable once you understand that it requires 1 full spin of the tire to start working and it works equally well on deceleration [braking and just engine retardation] unlike gear mechanical versions.

Old 08-23-2004, 03:21 PM

Aren't the poeple upgrading existing non-LSD cars to have LSD saying that it's a waste of time and money?

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan
14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Hotchkis Sways (M/M)
Polk EX-3500 Tweeters/Shock Sensor/H-Liner

Old 08-23-2004, 04:27 PM

In terms of pure performance, yes it would be a waste of money. For about the same amount of money one could get an aftermarket LSD like the Nismo or the Kaaz. Those clutch type LSD's are superior in performance as they will actually prevent slip whereas the viscous LSDs will kick in only after the wheels have started slipping. Also the clutch types usually will handle much more torque loads than the viscous units will.

But if all out performance isn't needed and the person does not track the car then the oem viscous LSD would work just fine. Lot less maintenance on the unit and isn't intrusive as a clutch type.

04' G35S 6MT Ivory Pearl, Willow, Premium
Z-Tube / NFC Y-Pipe / Custom Mid-Pipe / 350 EVO Rear Sway/ '03 350Z Shocks and Springs