Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

HELP!!! Make 20s a more comfortable ride

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
HELP!!! Make 20s a more comfortable ride

Just needee help oj what measures to take ij order to make my 20s a more pleasant ride! I like how 20s sit on my car and how i basically dont need to drop the car to eliminate the huge wheel gap! Its just that it iust feels too rugged to drive! Minor bumps feel like it will puncture your tires already! But my main reason for going with 20s is because of my driveway!

So my question is, what measures can i take to make the quality of my ride more comfortable! Hopefully close to how my 18s feel! Tire wall increse? Spring/shock change?

The current specs i have are:

Wheel - 20x8.5F with +20 offset
20x10R with +20 offset

Tires - 255/30/20 front
285/30/20 rear

Would going 35 for the walls help or am i at least able to do that? Would u recommend a tire change with a softer feel to it? If so, what tire brands would u suggest?

Your help/input is much appreciated! Thanks!

Old 08-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Going up in tire size would be your best bet, but it would look kinda ugly imo. Softer tires would help also, but it's kinda difficult to find a "soft" tire in 20" because they also have to offer some protection to the wheel. Your best bet is to simply go to a smaller wheel. It also depends on how worn your suspension is.

Some luxury cars come with 20" wheels and are comfortable. But they usually have bigger tires and their ride heights are taller to offer a more supple ride. Ride in a Ferrari however, and you want to get back into your G...lol.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
damn spell check is your friend.

and the rear offsets are pretty aggressive.

are your shocks blown out? how old are they?

Old 08-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
if you're not dropped, go with 245/35 and 265 or 275/35 tires.....30series is too damn thin

Old 08-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Depending on your year and number of miles, i'm willing to bet your suffering ride is due more in part to a worn out suspension rather than the 20" wheels. I've had larger wheels for 2 years and nobody has ever complained that my car rode rough. In fact, most are amazed at smooth it rides considering my larger wheels.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
im running 225/35 and 245/35 on 20x8.5/10s lowered on df210s and it still rides good and smooth. i havent noticed much different when i was running 245/35 and 275/35 tires prior.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by GT-ER
Going up in tire size would be your best bet, but it would look kinda ugly imo. Softer tires would help also, but it's kinda difficult to find a "soft" tire in 20" because they also have to offer some protection to the wheel. Your best bet is to simply go to a smaller wheel. It also depends on how worn your suspension is.

Some luxury cars come with 20" wheels and are comfortable. But they usually have bigger tires and their ride heights are taller to offer a more supple ride. Ride in a Ferrari however, and you want to get back into your G...lol.
Yea, might be want im gonna go for! Maybe try the 35 series! I'm not that picky about the size anyways! I actually like beefy tires! The only thing though is I hope i dont look like a 4x4! Hehe!

What tires do you know of that have a softer feel to it anyways? Any specific brands?
Don't really have the luxury of going with a smaller wheel cuz my driveway is too deep and narrow and even at stock height I am already scrapping do I'd rather go with a bigger wheel but really want a comfortable ride so the GF wont complain! Hehe!

Might try and get new shocks and springs then or maybe just slightly used sport ones! Hopefully I can find cheap ones!

Originally Posted by kennymo
damn spell check is your friend.

and the rear offsets are pretty aggressive.

are your shocks blown out? how old are they?
Well not really my friend cuz I dont really use it! I was typing this at work yesterday and just sneaked in a post cuz this issue was bothering me and so I just typed this on my phone and soft keys are a pain when your fingers are too big! Otherwise I think my spelling is just fine!

I dont think theyre blown out! Maybe just worn out! My Gs a 2003 model and I drive in LA most of the time! Dealing with rough roads and pot holes!

Originally Posted by the_coupe
if you're not dropped, go with 245/35 and 265 or 275/35 tires.....30series is too damn thin
Hmmm might go for that man! Any pics of the 20s wrapped with these tires? Also, what tire brands do you recommend? Don't like my falken 452s and maybe that's my issue right now but my pirelli p zeros have been awesome!

Originally Posted by EnviedG35
Depending on your year and number of miles, i'm willing to bet your suffering ride is due more in part to a worn out suspension rather than the 20" wheels. I've had larger wheels for 2 years and nobody has ever complained that my car rode rough. In fact, most are amazed at smooth it rides considering my larger wheels.
Hmmmm...might be man! I'll try to invest in some sport shocks of the revup model Gs! Do you know if its just a straight up swap or are they completely different in terms of placement of installation?

Also what components do I need in order to get a better feel to the suspension?

Originally Posted by the_coupe
im running 225/35 and 245/35 on 20x8.5/10s lowered on df210s and it still rides good and smooth. i havent noticed much different when i was running 245/35 and 275/35 tires prior.

You have an 04 G Coupe huh? Hmmmm...maybe my driving conditions are the ones that contribute to the quick wearing of my suspension!

Thanks for all the help guys!

Old 08-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
whoa,....^

Old 08-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
20's without a drop looks terrible IMO. Making the tires even bigger will make your car look like you have a lift kit on there. I wouldn't do it.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
20's without a drop looks terrible IMO. Making the tires even bigger will make your car look like you have a lift kit on there. I wouldn't do it.
It actually looked fine for me though! A little wheel gap but forgivable IMO

And with 35 series upgrade to 245/35/20F and 275/35/20R I'm only looking at about a 10mm height increase! It shouldnt be that bad right?

Old 08-09-2010, 05:09 PM
XiN
Supersonic... Hypertonic

Received 430 Likes on 278 Posts
Itasha Coupe
Its going to look a bit bigger, honestly, especially with no kit or no aggressive drop. Your wheels are going to look too big for your car.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't get 35 series on 245/275 your car will look really tall, not to mention your speedometer will be off. Just stick with 30 series and find some softer springs.

Have you considered getting adjustable coil overs? For example you can get Stance pro coils (or other comparable coils) and adjust the stiffness of your coils, this gives you the option to have a stiff ride or soft ride with minor adjusting that takes 2 minutes. I think this would be your better option, but it does cost more.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:16 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
OP also consider what type of tires you are using. A high performance all season will ride a lot smoother than a UHP summer tire, it just won't look as cool (especially the tread pattern).

You will lose a little in performance with this switch but if you don't track your car that shouldn't be a big deal.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by konxeptionz
Its going to look a bit bigger, honestly, especially with no kit or no aggressive drop. Your wheels are going to look too big for your car.
Ohhhh so just stick with these specs as my max tire sizes then?

Originally Posted by mt7rabbit
Don't get 35 series on 245/275 your car will look really tall, not to mention your speedometer will be off. Just stick with 30 series and find some softer springs.

Have you considered getting adjustable coil overs? For example you can get Stance pro coils (or other comparable coils) and adjust the stiffness of your coils, this gives you the option to have a stiff ride or soft ride with minor adjusting that takes 2 minutes. I think this would be your better option, but it does cost more.
Ohhh ok! What springs would you consider that has one of the most comfortable feel to it?

Yea, hehe! I dont have the money for coils just yet! Getting my body kit in and need the money for a paintjob, and most likely, a splitter too due to the above mentioned driveway!

Btw man, just had to say this, but your car is awesome! One of the few LR Gs I aspire too!

Originally Posted by Blue Dream
OP also consider what type of tires you are using. A high performance all season will ride a lot smoother than a UHP summer tire, it just won't look as cool (especially the tread pattern).

You will lose a little in performance with this switch but if you don't track your car that shouldn't be a big deal.
Ohhhh ok! What tires would u recommend then? SO far ive been looking at Hankook Ventus though! I've read that they have a soft feel to them!

Thanks again guys!!!

Old 08-09-2010, 08:56 PM
XiN
Supersonic... Hypertonic

Received 430 Likes on 278 Posts
Itasha Coupe
Yes, I would stay with that tire size.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Make 20s a more comfortable ride