Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

New to performance tires. Couple questions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 06:25 PM
N80
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
New to performance tires. Couple questions.

I just bought a used, high mileage, 2006 G35 Coupe 6MT. It has Kumho Ecsta SPT tires on 19" rims. Front and rears different sizes. They are uni-directional.

They ride rough which is what I'd expect from a low profile performance tire. Seem to handle well. They're noisy as heck. No cupping, feathering or anything and from the reviews that's apparently normal for this tire.

The answer to my question is obvious but I guess you can't rotate these at all? Do you do anything to help then run longer?

Thanks

George

Old 08-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
bro.. the cars come staggered.. u can't rotate anything.. only thing u can do is switch the left and right.. now if if u want to buy a better quality tire u might decrease the road noise, but u still going to hear the noise.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:52 PM
N80
Originally Posted by broke_as_ajoke
bro.. the cars come staggered.. u can't rotate anything.. only thing u can do is switch the left and right..
I don't think you can switch left to right either since they are directional. Unless you take them off the rims. Does anyone do that.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:32 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by N80
I don't think you can switch left to right either since they are directional. Unless you take them off the rims. Does anyone do that.
Exactly, you answered it yourself. Some people do go through that hassel of getting them dismounted and switch from side to side. If you want a good all around tire that performs better in everyway than the Kumhos you have on now, replace them with some Hankook Ventus EVO V12 tires. They ride better and are quieter and should provide you with better grip...might not last as long, but they are superior in performance.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:44 AM
N80
I'll probably drive these until they are gone. Have been doing some reading about the 06 coupes eating front tires causing dishing, cupping and feathering. I have not looked closely at these fronts but the noise might not be a design issue, it might be a wear issue. However, reviews of the Kumho SPTs mention excessive noise a good bit. Will look at the Hankooks when time to replace these.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Car and Driver did a resent article/test about performance summer tires. This test gave a great review on the Hankook EVO and in turn the price on these tires went up. The size I was looking at went from the $120 range to $140 range per tire. I chose the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport (also tested in the article) because it is a very quiet tire and not a directional.

Here is the article:

<A HREF="http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/09q2/tire_test_nine_affordable_summer_tires_take_on_the _michelin_ps2-comparison_tests">C&D Tire Test</A>

Old 08-24-2010, 04:09 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Only way is taking them off wheels and remounting them on the opposide side of the car.