Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Plasti Dip and Metalizer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 03:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Plasti Dip and Metalizer

The original owner seemed to have a genuine dislike of the Rays, which manifested itself with lots of curb rash and paint flaking that I've been fighting with. I have had the wheels covered in black Plasti Dip for quite a while. While I have never been a fan of black wheels, it was at least an improvement over the terrible condition they were in. Ultimately, I thought a gunmetal finish would look best on my DGM coupe, so I stripped off old Plasti Dip to experiment. After 4 coats of black and 2 coats of Metalizer, here are the results (dirty car):

The following users liked this post:
KrazySouthG35 (04-18-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 03:59 PM

Received 802 Likes on 678 Posts
G35 Sedan
not bad

Old 04-15-2013, 09:30 PM
Received 130 Likes on 114 Posts
Came out great. Get some spacers. 20mm F, 25-30mm R.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:45 PM
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
doesnt look bad..so u sprayed the metalizer over plastidip right

links?

Old 04-16-2013, 01:54 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
I think I like that better than what I did. I did the GunMetal with Silver Metalizer. There is a distinct blue tint to them. I am waiting for the new Anthracite color.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:15 AM
Originally Posted by tylerxfire
doesnt look bad..so u sprayed the metalizer over plastidip right

links?

Yes, you spray it over whichever Plasti Dip you decide to use as a base. I also believe that the Metalizer is Plasti Dip itself, and could be used alone.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_soluti..._Dip_Enhancers

Ordered it from dipyourcar.com

Originally Posted by Kerry Garrison
I think I like that better than what I did. I did the GunMetal with Silver Metalizer. There is a distinct blue tint to them. I am waiting for the new Anthracite color.

I see a blue tint in mine as well, and I'm not sure if I simply did not spray enough coats of metalizer or if they were not thick enough. The brightness is currently good (could possibly handle a little brighter), but I'm not ready to call it a finished product yet. How much did you use? Thin or light coats?

Old 04-16-2013, 10:13 AM
I did 6 coats of Gunmetal and then 4 coats of Metalizer. It looks good, I have had a number of compliments on it, its just not exactly what I had wanted it to look like because of the blue tint to it. When I get enough time to redo it I will do it with the Charcoal base and then the Silver Metalizer. I know it will probably be a little darker than I want but it should kill off more of the blue tint. If the new Anthracite color comes out soon I will just order some of that.

This is the beauty and fun of PlastiDip, you can experiment and keep trying different things and in the end, if you still don't like it, peel it off.

Check out the website for the car at http://G35Project.com for some of the things I have done with it and some of the experiments.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:07 PM
I did 6 coats of Gunmetal and then 4 coats of Metalizer. It looks good, I have had a number of compliments on it, its just not exactly what I had wanted it to look like because of the blue tint to it. When I get enough time to redo it I will do it with the Charcoal base and then the Silver Metalizer. I know it will probably be a little darker than I want but it should kill off more of the blue tint. If the new Anthracite color comes out soon I will just order some of that.

This is the beauty and fun of PlastiDip, you can experiment and keep trying different things and in the end, if you still don't like it, peel it off.

Check out the website for the car at http://G35Project.com for some of the things I have done with it and some of the experiments.

The blue tint is annoying me too. Since I know it's there, it's all I see. The passenger side doesn't appear to be as bad. I was looking for a dark/gunmetal that didn't hide the look of the wheel like the black does, and that was achieved. However, the blue must go.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:11 PM
My problem right now is that I live in California and can't buy the gallons to mix my own colors. This summer I am moving to Colorado and my new next door neighbor is opening a PlastiDip shop so I will be dialed in once I move.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:31 PM
My problem right now is that I live in California and can't buy the gallons to mix my own colors. This summer I am moving to Colorado and my new next door neighbor is opening a PlastiDip shop so I will be dialed in once I move.

Wha? Cannot buy gallons of Plasti Dip in California?

Old 04-16-2013, 02:35 PM
Looks clean. Any before and after pics?

Old 04-16-2013, 02:56 PM
Stupid law in California does not allow bringing in gallons. They are working on solving that right now.

Before

Gunmetal Only

After Metalizer

Last edited by Kerry Garrison; 04-16-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really like that black with the metallizer on it. I want to do it soon to cover curb rash from previous owner.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by Ben35
I really like that black with the metallizer on it. I want to do it soon to cover curb rash from previous owner.

That was what led me into using Plasti Dip. Previous owner curbed both front wheels, in addition to the paint chips exposing the black primer beneath. I tried stripping one to polish them, but these wheels are a nightmare for such a project. That stuff must have been baked on in low orbit around the Sun. I love the look of the Rays, and most of the aftermarket wheels I've seen simply do not make me want them.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:22 AM
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Is that the silver metalizer over black I'm guessing?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Plasti Dip and Metalizer