Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Inner Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2013 | 12:17 PM
|
Inner Tire Wear

Hello. I have a 2006 G35 Coupe and I love the car. It came optioned with the 19" wheel package but the Front Tires are experiencing excessive inner tire wear, the Driver Side front had more than 50% tread left in the center but the inner tire (inside the wheel well, the edge) was showing steel belts and I never would have caught it had I not parked funny one day. I took a look at the passenger side which is a brand new tire with more than 80% life remaining (pot hole killed the original one) and it too is wearing excessively in the inner well. I had the driver side tire replaced and paying $200 per tire every 4 months is not exactly appeasing.

During the replacement I was going to get an alaignment but was informed that alaignment was not going fix this problem and this car had bent suspenion parts which are causing the problem, they didnt tell me which part was bent but I was under the assumption most likely a control arm... I was told that this was an extremely common issue for these cars and wanted to know if anyone else knew anything about it and the way to remedy it?

Old 10-01-2013 | 01:14 PM
Premier Member
Premier Member
You need an alignment. Take it somewhere else because that shop is full of morons. If something really is bent, they should be able to tell you what needs to be replaced.

Toe is most important spec right now, get that wrong and your tires will be toast with a quickness. There is no factory Camber adjustment, but a nice set of adjustable upper control arms from one of our vendors will add that ability. Camber will wear out tires as well, but not nearly as fast as toe being out of spec.

Also, some of the earlier 03-04 models had tire wear problems, but the 06 got upgraded lower control arm bushings. It may still be a good idea to have all the front bushings inspected as well since that sorta is a "common" issue.

Old 10-01-2013 | 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by LoSt180
You need an alignment. Take it somewhere else because that shop is full of morons. If something really is bent, they should be able to tell you what needs to be replaced.

Toe is most important spec right now, get that wrong and your tires will be toast with a quickness. There is no factory Camber adjustment, but a nice set of adjustable upper control arms from one of our vendors will add that ability. Camber will wear out tires as well, but not nearly as fast as toe being out of spec.

Also, some of the earlier 03-04 models had tire wear problems, but the 06 got upgraded lower control arm bushings. It may still be a good idea to have all the front bushings inspected as well since that sorta is a "common" issue.
Yes, there are revised bushings. Revised bushings are only compression rods. And that shop is full of morons. This is common common G/Z issue.

My advice:

Replace as many bushings as you can with polyurethane from whiteline or energysusp.

My car had the same problem your car has. I replaced my transverse link bushings (front lower control arms) with whiteline, compression rods (rear lower control arm) with revised OEM cause the polyurethane stuff wasn't available at the time. I had the alignment done by a GOOD shop and wear has been pretty good. I am 6k miles in and my tires are wearing relatively even. I will be very happy if I get 20k on a front set, but am hoping for 25k.

Old 10-03-2013 | 03:26 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Agreed. New alignment and/or better quality suspension parts should help solve it.

Old 10-07-2013 | 11:16 PM
anyone have a idea how much a shop would charge to install a energy suspension master kit on a g35?