Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Rear Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 03:12 PM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Rear Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly

Hey Guys -

I suspect a bad rear wheel bearing (or 2) on my 2003 Coupe. I've got new rotors, pads, and steel brake lines on the way and figured I should look at replacing the bearings and hubs for both rear wheels while I'm down there.

Can't seem to locate the hub and bearing assembly together for the rear. Everything I find is for the front. What is it about the rear that makes it so difficult to find? And DO they even sell the bearing and hub pressed together or am I just assuming they're pressed since the come together?

The only rear combo I can seem to find is this ebay joint:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/REAR-WHEEL-H...hUClIy&vxp=mtr

Lastly, if my only option is to buy the rear bearings and hubs separately, what is a ballpark cost for having a shop press them? Anyone had to do this before?

Thanks!!!

Old 08-09-2016, 12:11 AM
Received 168 Likes on 148 Posts
I think they come separate and you have to press them yourself. Not sure how much a shop would charge you could be 20 bucks or 100 dollars. I brought some struts to a shop and asked them how much to swap the coils out. They wanted 1.5 hours of labor...

There is a video I think ByTheBay posted where he does a wheel bearing on the rear I think.

The following users liked this post:
G_zus (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 08:42 AM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Thanks for the reply coffey...that's what I'm thinking as well. I think it's the pictures that show them pressed together that is throwing me off, that'd be too good to be true.

I wonder what the chances are of my local stealership doing a courtesy press if I buy the OEM parts from them??? Worth a try right?

You're right about ByThaBay, I watched his videos on the rear wheel bearing yesterday. He uses a bearing puller and holder from Harbor Freight to separate them but he was able to press the replacement bearing and hub himself since he has a press in his garage. Must be nice!