Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Confused and in need of help

Old 03-31-2017, 06:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Confused and in need of help

Hey guys. Sorry to waste everyone time. I have been searching threads and websites and other forums, trying to make sense of this and I feel stupid. I just cant seem to understand wheels and tires. It seems so complicated.

I just want to get some reasonably priced 18 x 9.5s all around, front and back for my 04 6mt g35 coupe. No stagger! Like some Rota Grids or something like that. I wana get some Michelin pilot super sports on them. What size wheels do I need? What size tires?

I just dont understand what I need to be looking for. People keep telling me different things. I have read several conflicting opinions. I dont really understand offset, and spacers, and the fitment. It seems really complicated and its making me feel really stupid.

Can anyone please help me with some advice and guidance? I would really appreciate it. I am going nuts over here. Thanks!

Old 03-31-2017, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Wheel fitment in a nutshell - you want the barrel to fit inside the fender - it can't hit the brake caliper - looks. That's pretty much it.

If you don't want to have to think too hard, go no larger than 9.5" in rear and 8.5" in front in width. Keep offsets to around stock sizes (+10 to +30mm). Tires should match stock diameter. Post here and we will let you know if your search leads you to the right set of wheels to fit.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your input and being willing to help Urbanengineer!

What do you think about what I want? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I just dont see any real performance benefits to staggered setups. I rather have the biggest contact patch of rubber I can reasonably equip on all 4 wheels. I want to do 18 x 9.5 uniformly, all around. Will I have problems running 9.5 wide wheels in the front? I dont want to roll fenders. I dont want to spend a fortune on wheels, I rather use most the money of my budget for wheels and tires on good high quality rubber with a really sticky compound. I am thinking about Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

While searching the forum for clues I saw one person say they had 10s all around and didnt need to roll. So I felt 9.5 should be resomnable. I dont want to go to big.

I also dont know how wide will start to effect the computer for the VDC. I want to keep my stock wheel size of 18 inches, I just want wider wheels so I can put on wider tires. I have been building the car and it is making more power, and I want to be able to put it down without spinning as much, and be able to corner better with wider wheels.

So far I have put the Motordyne Isothermal copper plenum spacer 5/16th, Cat delete with motordyne resonated ART test pipes, Stillin high flow intake kit with Z tube and heat shield, Osiris Uprev dyno tune and custom mapping for all the new components from the shop I am building the car with, we also raised the red line a little bit and the idle, I also put in a competition stage 4 clutch and super light weight flywheel. Switched over to a better synthetic oil from the conventional it had in it, Royal Purple 5w30.

Any suggestions on wheel and tire setups for a non staggered setup, would be great. I really appreciate it. I am going to keep looking for affordable wheel options. I just want to know for sure they will be right before I pull the trigger on them. I want to spend about 1000 on the set of 4.

Thanks again everyone!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.