Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Shock/Springs vs. Coilovers SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN! Thanks!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shock/Springs vs. Coilovers SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN! Thanks!

Newbie here.

Please pardon the crosspost... I posted this question as a reply in the G35 Coupe "Full Coilover or Springs????" thread but it doesn't seem to be grabbing the attention of anyone.

I've tried searching on this site for information on the differences between replacing springs/shocks or getting coilovers etc. I know what springs are and what shocks are, but I don't know what coilovers are and/or why some people are passionate about coilovers, and some believe that springs/shocks are "good enough" if you just want to lower. I do know from various posts that coilovers are adjustible (but not everything they adjust) and that they are many times more expensive.

* Could someone please explain the differences between replacing OEM suspension with new springs/shocks or coilovers and what the differences are?

* Any listing of advantages/disadvantages of either SS vs. CO would be greatly appreciated.

* I read posts about guys adjusting pounds/kg on these suspensions have have no idea what it means.

* Any additional info regarding the need for wheel alignment, camber adjustments or anything else that you feel is necessary when pursuing suspension changes would be appreciated as well.

I know I could Google for some basic info, but I feel you guys are the best resource for how these issues are specific to the G.

MANY THANKS!!

Old 04-05-2005, 04:54 PM
1. replacing with shocks/springs or coilovers is the same work. just have to choose which combination you want. the benefits there are obviously that you can lower the height of your car and improve your cars handling.

2. as for whether to get springs or coilovers, matter of opinion. coilovers offer more flexibility by allowing you to be able to adjust your settings much more, and typically offer better ride quality as the springs and shocks involved are matched to one another, however, coilovers are a lot more expensive. a spring/shock combo is a much cheaper alternative, and for the most part will do just as well, however, you don't get the adjustability.

3. the weights you are hearing about is the rate of the spring, basically to do with how stiff they are. thats not something you really have to worry about unless you plane on tracking your car to where that sort of level of control and fine-tuning is important (and if you are going that route, you are definitely going to want coilovers).

4. Any time you lower you car, you'll want to have your alignment checked. wait about a month or 500 miles or so to make sure the springs have settled all the way and then take it to an alignment shop. the factory adjustments should be enough to get your camber and tow back in alignment unless you do something extreme, in which case you might need some sort of camber kit to help out.

Old 04-05-2005, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by audiracer2002
coilovers offer more flexibility by allowing you to be able to adjust your settings much more, and typically offer better ride quality as the springs and shocks involved are matched to one another, however, coilovers are a lot more expensive. a spring/shock combo is a much cheaper alternative, and for the most part will do just as well, however, you don't get the adjustability.
Thanks guy, much appreciated. But exactly what settings are we talking about? I know there's ride height, but can you adjust things like stiffness (i.e. harsh ride versus comfortable ride)? I read your other post where you mention KW variance 1 allows for just one setting change. Which setting was that?

Also, should I consider upgrading anti-sway bars? Or is that something altogether different?

Basically, what I'd like to do is lower 3/4" front 1/2" rear without changing height again and improve cornering, but would prefer to do it the "right/best" way while not paying for extra bells and whistles I'll never use (if that's possible).

Sorry for the all the questions... I post in an audio/video forum and read newbie questions all the time and try to help them out so I know how it is. Many thanks!!

Old 04-05-2005, 06:29 PM
with KW's, the have 3 options: variant 1's, variant 2's, and variant 3's.

variant 1's offer height adjustment only.
variant 2's and 3's offer dampening and rebound etc and 3's even have shock oil reseviors etc.

from the sounds of it, you'd be good with variant 1's (which is what i will be getting). allows you to fine tune the height and thats it.

sway bars are something different and help stiffen up the car side-to-side to help with body roll. probably unecessary unless you are going to the track or just have money to burn.

Old 04-05-2005, 08:27 PM
Wink Thanks

Thanks for the info.