Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

car doesnt corner as good after a drop + wider rims...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 11:38 PM
► Matt ◄
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car doesnt corner as good after a drop + wider rims...

Back when my car was on the stock pilots and stock suspension, the car felt good around turns (onramps are a good example) I used to be able to take these at pretty high speeds. Now I have 350z h-techs, 245/35 F and 275/35 R toyo t1s along with SPC camber arms, and my car just doesnt corner like it used to. Ive been leaving traction control on lately because Ive been a bit nervous when pushing my car (ive been taking it easy lately) When I was on my stock suspension and tires my car felt so much more nimble.

On the contary I didnt expect to "gain" better handling with this setup (I know shocks + sways will help a lot) but I don't know why the car feels.. "heavier" in the corners now.. some of the sportiness has dissappeared and feels more like my moms Altima

Old 06-04-2005, 11:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The rollcenter is altered when you lowered the car and the dampers can not
handled the higher spring rate and shorter travel.

I recommend you add dampers like the D-Specs and f/r swaybars.

Although my car's setup for half dressup and half performance, it handles
much better than stock.

Old 06-04-2005, 11:53 PM
you're also feeling the difference between linear rate and progressive rate springs.

It's just the way it is until you get the parts I listed above.

Old 06-04-2005, 11:59 PM
► Matt ◄
Originally Posted by kenchan
you're also feeling the difference between linear rate and progressive rate springs.

It's just the way it is until you get the parts I listed above.
level with me Kenchan , If I could only get one, which one would I benefit more from?

Old 06-05-2005, 12:38 AM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
In my opinion.. Sways!! I haven't put the 350z suspension on just yet, and I can tell a difference with my front/rear sways set med/med

Old 06-05-2005, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by IS300TOG35
level with me Kenchan , If I could only get one, which one would I benefit more from?

It's really hard to say because if you're going for cornering the swaybars
will definitely help you more than the D-Specs...but...

If you're going for overall dynamics of the car to bring it back to where
it felt like stock or firmer, the D-Specs will do that without a doubt.

Since you were happy with the stock sways, perhaps you might want to
get the D-Specs first and some swaybars later.

Both parts are must-haves imho...

Old 06-05-2005, 04:19 PM
You never mentioned anything about your alignment settings. What did you set them to when you got the car re aligned? Im obviously hinting at something here. Your alignment settings are absolutely crucial when adjusting suspension components.

You also must keep one thing in mind. You have upgraded to 19" wheels which are quite a bit heavier than your stock wheels. The increase in rotational mass also has a negative effect on all around performance including handling.

The increase in contact patch though im sure will help you with grip. Once you have the car dialed in properly Im sure everything will feel a lot better. New tires also need some time to break in too.

Old 06-05-2005, 05:05 PM
Back when my car was on the stock pilots and stock suspension, the car felt good around turns (onramps are a good example) I used to be able to take these at pretty high speeds. Now I have 350z h-techs, 245/35 F and 275/35 R toyo t1s along with SPC camber arms, and my car just doesnt corner like it used to. Ive been leaving traction control on lately because Ive been a bit nervous when pushing my car (ive been taking it easy lately) When I was on my stock suspension and tires my car felt so much more nimble.

On the contary I didnt expect to "gain" better handling with this setup (I know shocks + sways will help a lot) but I don't know why the car feels.. "heavier" in the corners now.. some of the sportiness has dissappeared and feels more like my moms Altima

wow, i just got my 19's put on and i have the same size tires and i am lowered with Tein H-Techs and i'm experiencing the same kinda thing....i'm scared to drive it like i used to before i put the 19's on it...i think i need some new shocks tho....

Old 06-05-2005, 07:33 PM
► Matt ◄
Originally Posted by Docofmind
You never mentioned anything about your alignment settings. What did you set them to when you got the car re aligned? Im obviously hinting at something here. Your alignment settings are absolutely crucial when adjusting suspension components.

You also must keep one thing in mind. You have upgraded to 19" wheels which are quite a bit heavier than your stock wheels. The increase in rotational mass also has a negative effect on all around performance including handling.

The increase in contact patch though im sure will help you with grip. Once you have the car dialed in properly Im sure everything will feel a lot better. New tires also need some time to break in too.
Well everything is in factory spec. The rear cambers were slightly out until a few days ago, when I had my SPC camber arms installed and those are now back in spec. However this new handling as you will, is still present.

Old 06-05-2005, 09:54 PM
Yep, it's not a simple alignment issue. wish it was, huh?

Old 06-06-2005, 11:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How has the handling degraded? You mention it feeling "heavier", but are we just talking about a feeling of weight or is the front-end pushing/plowing in tight turns? Aren't the wider tires providing more grip, thus resulting in more body-roll during turns?

Wider tires, while providing the potential for greater grip, will still feel heavier (as they are) and will take on traits not as easily found in the narrower tires, such as tram-lining, hydroplaning, etc.

Did you change the width relationship between front and rear over that of the OEM set-up?

Are those dropped springs really helping your handling situation?

Old 06-06-2005, 11:45 AM
What??????

I have the H Techs also....only lower the car about 3/4"....so the stock shocks are not that overworked.

I also have the Toyo T1-S.

When I added the Stillen Sways....it was like night and day!

Instead of the front end pushing and having to get off the gas and re-point it....I can now throttle steer it and it's rock solid.

Try the sways....

Old 06-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Premier Member

Well everything is in factory spec. The rear cambers were slightly out until a few days ago, when I had my SPC camber arms installed and those are now back in spec. However this new handling as you will, is still present.
How do you know its back in spec? Did you take it to someone on a alignment rack?

Old 06-06-2005, 12:19 PM
► Matt ◄
Originally Posted by G35_TX
How do you know its back in spec? Did you take it to someone on a alignment rack?
Yes their also the ones who installed them.

Old 06-06-2005, 01:54 PM
Unhappy

You know what......I just remembered this...

my buddy just put the Kinetix camber arms on his car that has Eibachs......and he said it now feels funny.....like something is shifting.

I wonder if there is something about the correction arms????

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: car doesnt corner as good after a drop + wider rims...