Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Wheel balancing problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel balancing problem

Just mounted a new set of ADR M-Sports 18 X 8.5 with Nitto 555-245/40 tires on my sedan. Tires have now been balanced 4 times, 3 times at the shop that mounted them and once at another reputable tire shop (wanted a second opinion), and they still are not right. G starts shaking begining at 50mph thru 65mph and is extreamly anoying. These things are brand new and I'm ready to put back on my originals. Anyone have similar problems, suggestions or is this normal and something I have to live with by upgrading to 18's. Thanks :>(

Old 06-22-2003, 11:47 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Wheel balancing problem

To see if the wheels or the tires is the issue. Have the shop take the tires off and spin the wheels to see if they need weights. This will isolate where the problem lies. Those wheels and tires are good, so it will be interesting to see which one is causing your problem. Keep us posted on what you find.

Old 06-22-2003, 12:42 PM

yeah do what he said...and also check all your tire pressures...and maybe try taking it to a discount tire also, all the balancing machines they have are digital and really precise

John H.
2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe 5AT-Ivory Pearl-Premium Pkg-Performance Pkg.

Old 06-22-2003, 01:00 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure the balancer they use has a "finger" type of system that actually fits through all of the bolt holes of the wheel. There is a name for this that I can't recall. Apparently not all balancers use this type of system, but it's critical for high performance wheel setups. It replicates the balance of the actual wheel/tire mounted on the car, rather than just balancing the wheels from the center mounting hole which might be off. I'll try to get more info on this if anyone is interested. I guess many shops don't use this system because of its cost (several hundred per adapter plate that's shot if you drop it).

<font color=green>GG</font color=green>

Old 06-22-2003, 01:51 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll call my Infiniti dealer to see if they have that type of wheel balancer, but I doubt it since they didn't even have the equipment to mount the new tires. So what would the proper tire pressure be for the 18's, I know the car recommends 30psi for the the stock tires. Had 36psi in the 18's and changed them to 30psi with no difference. Man I hate having to drive around under 50mph.

Old 06-22-2003, 02:20 PM

believe it or not but your lugs may be a problem too...check and make sure they're all the same size and weight and torqued to specs and make sure their all there too...a few missing can throw it all off

p.s. i'm assuming the Nitto's are all brand new right???

John H.
2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe 5AT-Ivory Pearl-Premium Pkg-Performance Pkg.

Old 06-22-2003, 02:43 PM

Try to locate a shop the has a Hunter wheel balancer.

HunterGSP9700

03.5 G35 Sedan M6

Old 06-22-2003, 04:13 PM

Thanks, found several shops in my area that have the GSP9700. Now I'll see if I can get a refund from the second shop since they couldn't get it right. The tires are brand new, I briefly had them on a set of 350Z wheels (maybe 400 miles on them) before putting them on the ADR's. The lugs are also new and came with the wheels. Hope this solves the problem because these wheels look great on the G.

Old 06-22-2003, 05:29 PM
Staff ALUMNI

When they take them off again, make sure the last shop didn't mess up the steel belts. That can cause the wobble, shimmy or bounce that you are experiencing.
Since the tires have been remounted a couple of times just another check to see what the issue is.... Good Luck.

Old 06-22-2003, 08:42 PM

This may be too late, but are the ADR wheels hubcentric *and* have the correct size hub/adapter for the G35?

Old 06-22-2003, 09:48 PM

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is hubcentric? I would hope the sales guy at Wheelsmax should know if they would fit properly before selling me the wheels.

Old 06-22-2003, 09:57 PM
Staff ALUMNI

Check this thread it explains a lot about 'hubcentric'.

Hubcentric

Old 06-22-2003, 10:09 PM

Thanks for the info Merlin. I'll call Wheelmax tomarrow to find out. I can only hope its something as simple as snapping on an adapter.

Old 06-25-2003, 11:07 PM

I was finally able to get my wheels balanced after locating a set of Hub Centric Rings (believe it or not locally) and then having the tires road forced balanced with a Hunter GSP97000 machine at a local Nissan dealership. However, I'm now out over $200.00 because Wheelmax forgot to mention that I needed the centering rings. Also, because the wheels have been taken on and off the car six times within a week there are now small chips and scratches around the center cap area from putting them on the balancing machine so many times. Called Wheelmax and explained my disatisfaction with this whole ordeal. They apologized and agreed that I should have been told about the centering rings. They ended by saying they "might" be able to give me a $40.00 credit charge back (big deal) and asked me to fax them my balancing bill. This simple mod had been a major pain in the A$$ because of their mistake. Now I get sick to my stomach every time a look at those new wheels and see chips and scratches (minor as they are), but I still love the looks of this wheel (don't care that it weighs a little more & is made wherever) and have been getting alot of great comments. Posted pics in the rides section. Was planning in getting the stillen intake and HKS exhaust next, but now have mod-phobia. Hopefully it won't last long!

Old 06-26-2003, 10:43 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looked in the Rides section....very, very nice!

I'm also glad to see that although Wheelmax dropped the ball in not informing you about the hub adapters, it seems as though they acknowledged their error. Still hurts to be out an extra $200 though I'm sure.

Again...the G looks great with those wheels! Congrats on your choice.

03 G35s

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wheel balancing problem