Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

350z Tein H-Tech or Eibach Pro Kit or ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
350z Tein H-Tech or Eibach Pro Kit or ??

I have an '05 G35 coupe that came with the OEM 19s. I now have Axis Hiros 19x8.5/245-35-19 front and 19x10.5/275-35-19 rears. I want to lower my car a tad with some aftermarket springs mostly for cosmetic reasons, but if handling is improved some, that would be a bonus. I don't mind a slightly stiffer/louder ride - I've had springs on other cars and I actually wouldn't mind a slightly sportier/stiffer ride. My ideal drop would be about .75-1.0 inch all the way around. There doesn't seem to be any springs that accomplish this; either a little less or little more.

I've searched and read the forums for hours and I think I've narrowed it down to the Tein H-Techs for 350z (for larger drop than g35 counterparts) and the Eibach Pro Kit for g35. I really would love to be able to get my alignment very close to spec as well without having to go with aftermarket camber adjusters, etc. With that in mind, I was definitely leaning towards the Teins. However, in a couple posts, mention was made that the '05 G35s with OEM 19s have higher rear spring rates and that the Tein's might not be a good choice? Is this correct? What would decreasing rear spring rate (if that's what would actually happen) do to the handling performance?

Any feedback/input you can offer is greatly appreciated!

Old 09-11-2005, 01:14 AM
Of those 2 choices, I'd go w/the Eibachs. Springs rates on the Tein springs (both S and H) are gay

Old 09-11-2005, 12:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Based on what you want, I would go with RS*R 350Z springs. The next best option would be the 350Z H-techs. Both springs have a more linear rate than Eibach and just slightly stiffer than stock.

Old 09-11-2005, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by 1nate7
Based on what you want, I would go with RS*R 350Z springs. The next best option would be the 350Z H-techs. Both springs have a more linear rate than Eibach and just slightly stiffer than stock.
Thanks for suggesting these...I completely overlooked them when reading previous posts, but they look like just what I want: a linear spring with about 1" drop and very close to the higher '05 OEM spring rate in rear. I was thinking about spending the extra $80 for the TI to save some weight - you think it's worth it? Also, what's the word as far as quality, crafstmanship, etc. on these springs? I haven't heard much about them.

Thanks again!

Old 09-11-2005, 10:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would go with the 350z H-techs...they are linear front and rear springs...they have just the drop you are looking for, and offer good ride quality for use with the stock suspension (on a coupe). I believe the RS-R springs might be a little lower than what you are looking for. Honestly, for the price, I would get the Tokico/350z H-tech combo from Creative Autoworks. You will have GREAT handling, with the adjustability to customize to your driving habits. JMHO

Old 09-11-2005, 10:56 PM
Post some photos of that badboy! I'd love to see my rims on a coupe.

Puhleeeeeeeese!

Old 09-11-2005, 10:59 PM
ok so you guys are saying that the 350z version of the tein s/h-tech springs drops the car lower than the g35 version? or is it the other way around? im confused...

Old 09-11-2005, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by wingnut
Thanks for suggesting these...I completely overlooked them when reading previous posts, but they look like just what I want: a linear spring with about 1" drop and very close to the higher '05 OEM spring rate in rear. I was thinking about spending the extra $80 for the TI to save some weight - you think it's worth it? Also, what's the word as far as quality, crafstmanship, etc. on these springs? I haven't heard much about them.

Thanks again!
It is my opinion, and also that of others with much more suspension knowledge than myself, that the 350 RS*R springs are probably the best performance oriented spring on the market. I just ordered a set myself (for my 350Z though) and they should be here tomorrow. I haven't heard of any negative quality issues associated with this spring. I don't want to step on sponsors toes, but I found them for $205 shipped which is the cheapest I have ever seen.

As for Ti springs, I don't really know if they are worth it or not. It would be kind of cool and if you don't mind spending extra then go for it. I did drive a 350Z with the RS*R Ti springs this weekend, and it was noticably stiffer than my Z that currently has the H-Techs. I don't know if there are any differences between the Ti and regular spring rates. I wouldn't call it harsh, but I could feel the bumps more which I actually like.

If you don't mind the bigger drop and more of a chance of camber issues, then I would get the RS*R springs. If you want a more conservative drop, less camber issues, and a slightly more comfortable ride then the H-Techs are the way to go. Either way, I think you will be happy with the performance of either option. If you do decide to get 350Z H-Techs, I will have a set with 10,000 miles on them for sale soon for around $110 shipped.

Old 09-11-2005, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by nyckid
ok so you guys are saying that the 350z version of the tein s/h-tech springs drops the car lower than the g35 version? or is it the other way around? im confused...
It works out about the same, but the 350Z version springs rates make a whole lot more sense to performance oriented individuals.

Old 09-12-2005, 01:38 AM
Originally Posted by big daddy d
Post some photos of that badboy! I'd love to see my rims on a coupe.

Puhleeeeeeeese!
Here you go...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/defurd/sets/867536/

Old 09-12-2005, 02:36 AM
Very nice. Now here's one of my 'X'.....

Attached Thumbnails 350z Tein H-Tech or Eibach Pro Kit or ??-2005-g35x-012v2.jpg  
Old 09-12-2005, 08:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
[QUOTE=1nate7]It is my opinion, and also that of others with much more suspension knowledge than myself, that the 350 RS*R springs are probably the best performance oriented spring on the market. I just ordered a set myself (for my 350Z though) and they should be here tomorrow. I haven't heard of any negative quality issues associated with this spring. I don't want to step on sponsors toes, but I found them for $205 shipped which is the cheapest I have ever seen.

Hmmmm....what makes you say that? The spring rates? I agree that a linear spring is the way to go, but the 350z H-techs are linear as well. The Spring rates on the RS-R's are pretty high, and you would be much better off countering them with a set of aftermarket shocks. Then you also have to look at camber issues (a new set of A-arms, and camber arms in the rear), plus added bump-steer, harsher street ride, scraping, adverse effects on the roll-center of the vehicle, etc. Stiff doesn't necessarily mean better, and I think the RS-R's would be great if they didn't lower the vehicle quite so much.

Old 09-12-2005, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by khsonic03
Hmmmm....what makes you say that? The spring rates? I agree that a linear spring is the way to go, but the 350z H-techs are linear as well. The Spring rates on the RS-R's are pretty high, and you would be much better off countering them with a set of aftermarket shocks. Then you also have to look at camber issues (a new set of A-arms, and camber arms in the rear), plus added bump-steer, harsher street ride, scraping, adverse effects on the roll-center of the vehicle, etc. Stiff doesn't necessarily mean better, and I think the RS-R's would be great if they didn't lower the vehicle quite so much.
Thanks for the input guys - keep it up! The more info/opinions the better. I'm definitely planning on getting Tokico D-Specs as well as springs. I think another option might be to get some stock '05 350z springs for the rear to keep my spring rate, but get a little drop and then the 350z Tein H-techs for the front. What do you guys think of that configuration? I've found a new set of springs on my350z but they are from a track model which I believe has even higher spring rates than stock. That might be too harsh. Can you guys confirm that or not? Thanks again for all the input.