Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: PAC Steering Wheel Controls (W/ Pics)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 11:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed this according to the write up and it seems to work off and on. It loses the memory after 10-15 mins. I connected the resistors to the pins. What could be the problem for the memory loss?

Old 09-21-2010, 04:41 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Maybe the program button got broken and is randomly shorting out?

Old 09-21-2010, 01:50 PM
Not quite sure what is going on but I tried to reprogram everything once again. Checked all wires and resistors are all good. Now after reprograming everything works fine again. But then after turning car off and then back on the steering wheel function doesnt work correctly. After another reprogram, now the volume up and down both control volume up only. Same goes for seek up and down, when either is used it just seek up function.

Could it happen to be that the black wire from the pac unit need to be connected to constant -12V wire or does it just need to be connected to chasis ground. I saw a few write ups that said it must be connected to constant -12V. My yellow wire is connected to chasis ground. I also just connected resistors right into the pins and did not go the solder route, could this be why the unit is acting up? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:59 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

The chassis ground is constant ground. It's always hooked to the battery.

Can you show a pic of your "shove resistors into pins" method? It sounds like that's definitely what you did wrong, it's loose and not giving a consistent enough voltage for the PAC SWI to interpret the effective resistance of the circuit.

Your wires should look like this - SOLDERED:

And then those wires can be soldered or clipped into the old harness like so (the clips in the background:

Old 09-23-2010, 12:53 AM
Yea, looks like I will have to redo mine where the resistors connect to the car harness. Probably loose connection there. I had the yellow wire grounded to a bolt and the black wire connected to the black wire from the radio wiring harness.

Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
The chassis ground is constant ground. It's always hooked to the battery.

Can you show a pic of your "shove resistors into pins" method? It sounds like that's definitely what you did wrong, it's loose and not giving a consistent enough voltage for the PAC SWI to interpret the effective resistance of the circuit.

Your wires should look like this - SOLDERED:

And then those wires can be soldered or clipped into the old harness like so (the clips in the background:

Old 11-28-2010, 12:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Im seriously stumped and frustrated...

I have a 2005 g35 coupe a Pac swi-x and a avic920bt

I was able to wire everything up as per
http://www.pac-audio.com/swixprogram...ehicles&ID=211

I can also get it into program mode 3, but when it comes to programming the controls in order...its just not working. I hit the program button then the volume up button.The program led goes out once I let go then I hit program again for the next button volume down. I continue this until Im done with the last button. I dont get the 7sec confirmation light or any function out of the steering wheel controls..If anyone has done this successfully, can you tell me what I am doing wrong? PLEASE HELP!

Old 11-28-2010, 03:31 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Did you ground the yellow wire from the factory harness?

Have you watched my video of me programming the PAC SWI-PS? It's in my double din shopping/resource list.

According toyour link, the SWI-X programs the exact same you only push the program button when you want to skip a function, not after pressing the button associated with that function.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:00 AM
Ground the yellow wire?

I only grounded the yellow wire from the pac controller not from the g35 harness, Could this be it? In the pac website directions it says you dont need it, but I was look on https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...-pac-steering-
wheel-controls-w-pics.html

and it said to do this. Is this correct?? Im grounding this wire today if this is what I need to do? Where is your video located at?youtube?Thanks for the help and quick response,,,your awesome people!

PS the pioneer 920bt knew I bypassed the emergency break sensor to ground lol...so it gives me two pop ups when starting my car.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

The PAC controller's yellow wire doesn't get grounded. The one from the factory harness does. It *must* be grounded in order for the car to have a reference ground. If you'd called PAC's support number they'd probably be able to tell you this in about 45 seconds after calling... Ask me how I know

Yeah, it's hosted on youtube, if you look at the top of this forum, there's a sticky with my name all over it, inside the resource section is a video of me programming the unit.

If you look on AVIC411.com, you'll find the way to properly allow passengers to adjust settings on the radio while in motion without warnings.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:09 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi Wrathernaut,

Thanks for the video of the programming! I ended up getting the AVIC 120BT instead of the kenwoord DNX9960 I originally had planned.

Wifey loves it =]

We just need to learn how to speak proper english I guess. Any advice about how to use the navigation? It doesn't seem as intuitive as I thought it would be. Is there a way you can find alternate routes?

Thanks again for the vid!

Old 12-05-2010, 07:12 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Not sure if there's a way to do alternate routes, but it recalculates fairly quickly if you deviate... it's just a matter of how long it takes to give up trying to make you U-turn to get to the original route.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:43 AM
I just need to say thanks for this writeup. I was trying to install it via the instructions it came with and I was like wtf? but this guide was extremely helpful. Thumbs up:

Old 05-20-2012, 11:29 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Mission success! Excellent write up OP....found it 2 years after it's last post lol

Old 05-21-2012, 04:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is there any advantage to using the PAC SWC over the Metra AXXESS ASWC...? It seems like a lot of effort to get the PAC steering wheel control to work. With the Metra AXXESS ASWC I simply connected the wires to the G35's steering wheel control harness, programmed the SWC unit, and all worked fine.

Just curious / just asking...

Thanks -- Cameron

Old 05-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I found the answer to my question: Use this PAC SWI-PS (SWC) for Pioneer units with voice recognition. Correct?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY: PAC Steering Wheel Controls (W/ Pics)