Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Singled Ended and Differential balanced signals. upgrading SUB HELP PLEASE....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Singled Ended and Differential balanced signals. upgrading SUB HELP PLEASE....

Hello everybody...i own a 2003 sedan with the bose system

I have been trying to add a aftermarket sub and an amp using the bose system.

and this single ended and differential balanced signals are driving me crazy.. and i have no idea what they are...

1. I know the speaker wires from the HU are all differential balanced signals, but after going into the stock amp, are the signals from the amp still differential balanced signals?

2. Since the SUB doesn't have a wire coming from the HU, it only comes from the aftermarket amp, i assume those B and W (#8 and #21) are both differential balanced signals?

3. And from the #8 and# 21 wires going into the second amp of the subwoofer (right below the woofer), there are two wires going back into the woofer, are those differential balanced singals?

4. I have tried to use a LOC (not sure if this is the correct one, as this is just a speaker wires to RCA cables converter which I can adjust gain), and it does not help at all.

5. I have tried to use a RCA cable and slice it up and tap it into the #8 and #21, then into the amp and speaker. the speaker does have sound, but very unclear sound, which sounds like to me is a weak signal. does this sound right to you guys?

6. When the amp accepts speaker wires as the input (i don't know if it's single ended signals or differential balanced signals) but it says 0.8V, can i just tap #8 and #21 to the input?

7. How do I know if the LOC would accept differential balanced signals speaker wires and output as single ended signals in RCA??

8. If my LOC does NOT alter the signals to single ended, and my amp does not accept differential balanced signals, would my speaker make any sound at all??

9. does my LOC need to be grounded??

10. Can I run my stock bose woofer AND the aftermarket woofer? I am really just tapping the signals from the bose woofer.. so i would guess the answer is a YES?

Sorry for a lot of questions.. but i have been working on this for few days, but no luck...

please help.................

Old 12-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first, info on what you are running would be helpful...i.e. amp, sub, etc.

second, this has been covered a lot, if you haven't already read through some of the stickies...they are there because this is a common question...

and your short answer is:

balanced diff carries + and - of each input (left front speaker)...RCA carries signal wire and ground... balanced diff is better as it rejects noise better and carries a cleaner sound to the amp. (pro-sound equipment uses this type of signal in their XLR connections)

differential into the amp, speaker level post amp.... if you were going to use the balanced diff signal (optimum) you would need to tap into the signal chain before the amp. if you are using a loc...best location would be post amp as the LOC is designed to convert high level signals, not low level output signals from the HU. (LOC will introduce more noise into the system than going with the balanced diff signal)

with the balanced diff signal, you need to find an amp that accepts that type of circuitry. not just any amp will do in this case.