Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a backup camera -- which harness wire indicates backup light or "R" gear?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by eagle3000
What year is that?
Because My 06 Coupe MT don't have that PURPLE wire in that connector
^^^^
This

I can't find it so easy -.-

Old 12-03-2014, 10:33 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
What W-naut said!

On another note, in the kick panel I found about 10 purple wires to connect to. Could you please clearly show which one is the right one???

Post 15 Is kind of confusing, When I had that unplugged it seemed to not want to send 12V when reversing. I saw this post...

Thanks, And GL.
Yes, I am having an issue identifying the "purple" wire. There are three purple wires I see in this bundle. All slightly different shades of purple. Any help on which one? It looks tight in that bundle and I don't want to jack around with cutting a bunch of wires. I'm working on a coupe so it's clear its purple at this point.

Old 07-23-2016, 02:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
after a year and half.. there's an image for those that cannot locate "the right" purple wire suggested in this thread. Unfortunately this is happening to me, there was no purple wire next to the white/blue wire

Old 10-14-2016, 01:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just ordered a back up camera for my 06g35 I'll be adding a double since too
Anybody figure out which wire to splice into to connect the back up camera?

Old 10-14-2016, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Edgar0529
I just ordered a back up camera for my 06g35 I'll be adding a double since too
Anybody figure out which wire to splice into to connect the back up camera?
since my harness doesn't seem to have that backup signal wire like the ones from DIY thread, I ended up splicing wire that goes to the back up light and it works out fine.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35 coupe 6MT Brembo Premium
Originally Posted by westsai
since my harness doesn't seem to have that backup signal wire like the ones from DIY thread, I ended up splicing wire that goes to the back up light and it works out fine.
Could you send me a pic of which wire at the backup light area that needs to be tapped into?

I tried splicing back there with what I thought was the backup light wire. It was a blue/red wire.. but it didn't work for me so maybe it was the wrong one...

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:03 PM
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Thread revival. Do you guys know what color is the power cable for the reverse light and what color is ground? Its a 2006 g35 sedan. I'm assuming ground is black but I want to be sure.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:01 AM
Received 372 Likes on 339 Posts
Originally Posted by IllaNoizeTV
Thread revival. Do you guys know what color is the power cable for the reverse light and what color is ground? Its a 2006 g35 sedan. I'm assuming ground is black but I want to be sure.
For a sedan, it is the solid ORANGE wire.
See threads:

https://g35driver.com/forums/photogr...up-camera.html
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ire-color.html

For a coupe, it is the PURPLE wire with a silver dot on it every inch or so. (Some say theirs is just a solid purple wire. Check with a multimeter to make sure you have the correct wire.)
See thread:

Post #5 and on: https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...se-signal.html

Old 05-22-2018, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
I'll be replacing my back up camera for the third time this year since 2013. Why do most of these cams suck? Annoying but easy to replace. Last one only lasted 6 months . It was the cool one that replaced the license plate light too.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 G35 Coupe 6MT. I had three purple wires in the drivers kick panel harness. 1 was smaller than the other 2 and had a pair of silver dots every inch or so. 2 were the same size and had silver dots every inch or so. I picked the one that was twisted with an orange wire and had little slack - that turned our to only be reference voltage and did not change in/out of reverse. I had to dig the other one out of the "back" side of the harness (technically, it was right by the slit in the sleeve, but that was turned toward the outboard of the car and so harder to get to) and it had more slack and was the correct wire.

For camera power and ground, I tapped into purple and black (respectively) wires running along the bumper side of the trunk. Routed the video cable along the passenger side - had to pull out all the trim except for the rear finisher, which I was able to dislodge just enough to string the cable through with fish tape. Not a fun install but I've learned it never really is.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Scorpi0
The pic in that post shows what I saw - purple twisted with orange is not the right wire (nor is the third purple wire, though I can't tell if it has the pairs of silver dots or not). I only found the correct purple wire after confirming I had the wrong one and digging deeper into the harness.

EDIT: I see now that the purple wire above the tap is actually purple/white. I think the purple wire with pairs of dots is barely visible at the bottom, in between the light green/black and pink wires.