Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does 03 coupe have stock sub?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 09:12 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
does 03 coupe have stock sub?

I have my interior gutted and i don't see a sub. Rear deck has 2 6x9 is the sub in the trunk on the left side of the spare?

Im also having trouble figuring out where to put a sub. My options are 1 small 8 in sub in 6x9 location , not into that one to much

2 ..2 8 inch subs in rear 6.5 in woofer locations. This im leaning towards but it might rattle to much

3 next to spare on the left where i believe the amp is but idk if the sub is there.

Or 4 sacrifice trunk space that i need for tools and make a stealth box

Old 04-04-2016, 09:17 PM

On the left of the spare looks like theres space for one 8 in sub . I haven't opened that cause it was raining today. Has anyone done that?

Old 04-04-2016, 10:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is no sub in the coupe version, just the midrange 6x9's on the deck. I think you can get 12's on the left and right side of the spare tire but you will lose a lot of space and will need to fabricate a hatch for access to the tire, I had 2 tens in the rear at one time with one of those prefab boxes but sold them for a 12. Got rid of that and now going to put 2 dynomax 12's on a IB behind the rear seat. Just got the subs in today and will start ripping everything out this week so I can figure out how and where the mount points of the board will be.

You may be able to put a 8" in the rear side panels but you are going for 8's you can mount them on the rear deck or on a baffle board behind the seats like what I am doing, plus it is a hell lot easier. You can make an adapter based on the 6x9's that are already installed or take them to a shop along with your woofer and have them make one for you. A 6x9 has roughly the same surface area as an 8 so if you go that route you won't take a hit on sound from the adapter. The main issue would be clearance for the mechanical xmax. You may need to reinforce the rear deck, but that is mainly dependant on what type of sub you get for it. You should also check clearance to see that may be a problem.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by rdozier
There is no sub in the coupe version, just the midrange 6x9's on the deck. I think you can get 12's on the left and right side of the spare tire but you will lose a lot of space and will need to fabricate a hatch for access to the tire, I had 2 tens in the rear at one time with one of those prefab boxes but sold them for a 12. Got rid of that and now going to put 2 dynomax 12's on a IB behind the rear seat. Just got the subs in today and will start ripping everything out this week so I can figure out how and where the mount points of the board will be.

You may be able to put a 8" in the rear side panels but you are going for 8's you can mount them on the rear deck or on a baffle board behind the seats like what I am doing, plus it is a hell lot easier. You can make an adapter based on the 6x9's that are already installed or take them to a shop along with your woofer and have them make one for you. A 6x9 has roughly the same surface area as an 8 so if you go that route you won't take a hit on sound from the adapter. The main issue would be clearance for the mechanical xmax. You may need to reinforce the rear deck, but that is mainly dependant on what type of sub you get for it. You should also check clearance to see that may be a problem.
Yea maybe il use your idea if i cant get anything next to spare. An 8 would be good on the deck but i have a feeling its gonna rattle to much.
Il measure and see if i can get 1 10 next to the spare on driver side . With a good grill and fiberglass reinforcement that would work.

Post pics of ur build im curious to see how it comes out.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:01 AM
Originally Posted by Siciliang35
Yea maybe il use your idea if i cant get anything next to spare. An 8 would be good on the deck but i have a feeling its gonna rattle to much.
Il measure and see if i can get 1 10 next to the spare on driver side . With a good grill and fiberglass reinforcement that would work.

I will definitely do that and post a link in this thread to the thread I make on it.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:07 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Pick up a 4080 sub box that will fit nicely while retaining your storage space. There's a couple for sale right now on the forum.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by Siciliang35

Well I have been doing some measuring and visual comparisons with my subs and the opening behind the rear seat. The subs will fit, but how I want to mount them on the board may not work. I want to have them on the front side of that opening and the board press fitted between the fold down seat and the sheet metal using foam I got from walmart. I will not mount these to the sheet metal until I replace the rear side speakers, sound and resonance deaden the panels and metal in the car all at the same time.

The problem is these subs use tall boy surrounds and that is making things interesting. There seems to be just enough room for xmax (+/- 5-10mm) if the subs are inline with or near inline with the sheet metal. That in itself is not a problem, I am using 3/4 MDF so I can rabbit the sub opening down to around 3/8's so the subs sit in the baffle plus add support on the backside. I am not to sure if there will be enough clearance for the frame gasket and support it at the same time plus enough clearance for the motor assembly in the trunk area.

Once I get a template made tomorrow, I will have a better feel for what I will be able to do. I just now have enough time to do this, so hopefully it will be done before the weekend. My intake manifold will be here Friday so I want to get that installed as well.