Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Click From Pedal When Releasing Clutch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts
Just spoke with Brand Glincher (my service advisor) and he said the tech put some kind of grease or lube on the assembly somewhere and the clicking is now gone and the pedal does not make any kind of noise. They are still working on the other issue so I won't get the car back today. When I do get it back I will post the tech's comments along with my review of the fix

Old 10-05-2007, 05:38 PM
I got it back and the crazy click is gone!!!

I spoke with the tech that fixed it, his name was Max, he said the name of the part to lubricate is the "clutch pivot return spring." He said he had to remove the cover under the steering wheel to get good access to the spring.

Regarding the noise I had when pressing the pedal down all the way, he sprayed white lithium grease in/on/around the hold that the clutch pedal shaft goes through... maybe I can provide pics for that if needed but it should be obvious if you look down there. I will post a scanned version of my final invoice when I get home.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Click From Pedal When Releasing Clutch-workorder00.jpg

Click From Pedal When Releasing Clutch-workorder01.jpg

I've noticed the clicking is gone, yet if I focus really hard on the click (since I'm conditioned to hear it) I can almost hear it faintly sometimes... but my official verdict at this time is that the problem has been resolved.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:35 AM
Even though the click is much less noticeable now, it's still there. I took some photos of the clutch pedal area and I think I will spray some additional white lithium grease and clean up some of the mess the dealer made...

Click From Pedal When Releasing Clutch-pedal1.jpg

Click From Pedal When Releasing Clutch-pedal2.jpg

Click From Pedal When Releasing Clutch-pedal3.jpg

Old 10-26-2007, 04:19 PM
Drove 60 miles over to Concord to visit Niello Infiniti. The service manager confirmed the problem and they ordered me another assembly. He said this time around they're going to disassemble the new assembly and add silicon lube to the nylon bushing...

why can't my local dealership provide me with quality service like this?

btw, current click status is "loud"

Old 10-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mal_TX
I had this problem and fixed it. For me, it was being made by the point where the clevis meets the pedal arm. Get down there and look and you will see what I mean. I noticed that while the pedal was releasing, after a certain point it was "pulling on" the clevis. And, sometimes, based a million factors out of my control or observation, they would make enough metal-to-metal contact to make this annoying click sound.

I looked thru the FSM and noticed it says that the clevis pin should be able to freely rotate when the pedal is released. On my car, it was kinda tight to rotate it, but if I pressed on the pedal very gently, it loosened up and rotated freely. This backed my conclusion that the pedal was pulling on the clevis.

So, to fix it, I loosened the nut on the ACSD (the switch that the pedal presses on when it is released). Then, I turned that switch assembly such that it would push the pedal down towards the floor gently. I kept checking the pin to see when it "freed up" and started rotating freely. Once I had the switch applying pressure on the pedal enough to free up the clevis, I tightened the nut back down (12mm wrench).

This completely got rid of my clutch clicking sound, 100%. Check it out, if yours is the same problem, it is easy to fix. Just make sure you do not put so much pressure on the pedal that it is actually making a difference in the clutch itself. However, that should be impossible, because the clevis pin binds up when that much pressure is on it, so it will be clear that you went too far anyway.

I readjusted the ACSD as described above; did not fix the clicking, but did eliminate a lot of noisy play when the clutch pedal is at the top. HOWEVER, as mentioned in another post, I rotated the spring (while the pedal was depressed), and the clicking is GONE.

THANKS!!!

Old 10-27-2007, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by SPice
I readjusted the ACSD as described above; did not fix the clicking, but did eliminate a lot of noisy play when the clutch pedal is at the top. HOWEVER, as mentioned in another post, I rotated the spring (while the pedal was depressed), and the clicking is GONE.

THANKS!!!
So with your foot off the pedal, you rotate the spring? Is it the spring pictured here? :

Click From Pedal When Releasing Clutch-pedal1.jpg

Old 10-30-2007, 06:13 PM
My new pedal assembly came in yesterday. I set-up an appointment to get it replaced tomorrow morning. I suggested they pre-lube the assembly before installing it in my car and they thought that was a great idea so they're going to disassemble it and pre-lube any high wear areas.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:16 PM
I can't believe how much of a difference the new clutch pedal assembly made.. it feels amazing

Here are some pics of the old assembly:
Click From Pedal When Releasing Clutch-img_1864.sized.jpg

Click From Pedal When Releasing Clutch-img_1865.sized.jpg

Click From Pedal When Releasing Clutch-img_1866.sized.jpg

Click From Pedal When Releasing Clutch-img_1867.sized.jpg

Click From Pedal When Releasing Clutch-img_1868.sized.jpg

Old 10-31-2007, 05:18 PM
and here are some more pics of it:

Click From Pedal When Releasing Clutch-img_1869.sized.jpg

Click From Pedal When Releasing Clutch-img_1870.sized.jpg

Click From Pedal When Releasing Clutch-img_1871.sized.jpg

Click From Pedal When Releasing Clutch-img_1872.sized.jpg

You guys can find these same pics in 5 MP quality here:
http://www.sfplayers.com/gallery/album09?page=1

I'll post the work order later.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:40 PM
Old 12-03-2007, 11:51 PM
Thumbs up

Just did this work to my 06. I followed mal_TX's write-up but did the contratry. Found that it was the clevis ping (#3)being the cause of the click and is caused by the slack between the clevis pin and the amount of travel before it clutch starts to engage. The clevis pin bounces around a bit when clutch is disengaged from factory I guess.

Each time you release the clutch pedal, you will hear a slight pop noise, or metal contact. I adjusted the slack by the clutch interlock switch (#8) until the clevis pin had no slack. You will need to unplug the switch first, then adjust the height of it along with the clutch travel.

The manual is incorrect in saying "the clevis pin needs to float freely", that is the cause of the problem in the first place.

Last edited by Hitman_; 12-04-2007 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:22 AM
The manual is indicating that if the clevis pin does not float freely, then the clutch is being disengaged slightly and thus it will wear.

You can choose to call BS on them but you are doing so at your down risk. I suggest minimizing how much pressure you put on the pedal so you have the least chance of interacting with the clutch just for the sake of tighting up the pin. Or... just solve it some other way like fattening up the pin using rubber or something.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:23 PM
True, but I am saying just enough so it keep the clevis pin from moving. Up to you but spraying the area or having the whole pedal replaced will not work. The way I described it, you won't even be getting to the point where the clutch is being engaged. Try it and you will see, took 5 minutes to do anyway.

Last edited by Hitman_; 12-05-2007 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:49 PM
Genius work guys! Rotated the pin like 50 times (just to make sure ) and so far so good. I've had this issue for a few months now and I thought fixing it was going to be a headache since my nearest Infiniti dealer is 90 miles away. Thanks again!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Click From Pedal When Releasing Clutch