Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

DIY: 5AT to 6MT SWAP.

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:07 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
Jordan, why did you have so many problems with the 5AT? Seems like others have been fine.
Vegas temps + TT + track days every 2-3 months is something the auto trans does not like. Even with a built trans, huge cooler, and valve body I do not trust the 5AT to be pushed hard with lots of power.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:41 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
you didnt have a trans fluid temp gauge did you? I'm curious to how hot you were getting your fluid. I'm sure it was toasty.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:44 PM
Canada, eh?

No gauge, but I know the temps were very hot as the trans would go into limp mode all the time. Couldn't get it out of 4th after that until it cools down.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Keeping the ATF cool is critical for sure. If one cooler didn't work, I would've put two on in parallel. Tracking the car reliably is all about heat control.

How's the 6MT swap coming along Canadian?

Old 08-27-2010, 08:41 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
It's sad, I look at the pedal he got and I think to myself, "I should buy one of those pedal cover kits." GLHF with this project. Are you using a lift at least or jack stands in your driveway?

Old 08-27-2010, 03:35 PM
Canada, eh?

Originally Posted by rcdash
Keeping the ATF cool is critical for sure. If one cooler didn't work, I would've put two on in parallel. Tracking the car reliably is all about heat control.

How's the 6MT swap coming along Canadian?
The swap is all done, but I only had the car for 3 days. It's off for something else now, should have it back in a week or two. Look for another thread of mine shortly.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:42 PM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
UPDATE

Still have not had time to install the pedal. I've been to busy with 240's. I did my research and found out I would not need a 6mt Engine Harness. I am just going to wire the Park/Neutral switch and the reverse lights to switches.

Originally Posted by Shakuya88
It's sad, I look at the pedal he got and I think to myself, "I should buy one of those pedal cover kits." GLHF with this project. Are you using a lift at least or jack stands in your driveway?
I will hopefully be using a lift. I will take lots of pictures and have a detailed write up.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Canada, eh?

You also don't need a 6MT ECU, you just either need software to block the code or deal with a U1000 code which is for the TCM.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Nab
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im looking to swap out my 5AT w/ a 6MT within the next 2 years. im running at around 90K today, and am projecting about 120K at the time of swap. Any thoughts/threats/opportunites?? And thanks to Demolition and Canadian..very helpful!

Old 09-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Canada, eh?

Originally Posted by Nab
Im looking to swap out my 5AT w/ a 6MT within the next 2 years. im running at around 90K today, and am projecting about 120K at the time of swap. Any thoughts/threats/opportunites?? And thanks to Demolition and Canadian..very helpful!
People all over will say don't do the swap, its not worth it, etc. I don't understand this thinking...people spend 10k, 20k doing motor swaps all the time. If you want to spend the money and want a manual without buying a new car - do it! You won't regret it, I know I don't. I just can't wait to hit the track!

I sent this information in a PM to another member:

I'll give you a off-the-top-of-my-head parts list..

6MT Transmission
Clutch
Flywheel
Clutch line
OEM clutch hardline
OEM clutch fluid reservoir
6MT driveshaft (has to be from a G35, 350Z will not work)
6MT shifter
Throwout bearing
6MT wiring harness (my mechanic made my auto wiring harness work, so it will take some work if you or your mechanic knows what they are doing)
Clutch pedal assembly
Brake pedal assembly
Center console
Shifter trim
Center console sides (the sides of the radio)
A custom bracket was made to hold my clutch pedal more secure
A bolt we had to order from Nissan was used on the clutch pedal, I can't remember what it was called
Shift ****
Shift boot
You will need to cut a hole on the chassis where the shift enters the interior
Custom plate for this hole to block exhaust smell and water, etc.

You can keep your stock ECU, but you will have a code for the transmission. I will be blocking this code with UpRev hopefully, once I get my car back.

There will be some smaller items you will probably need, but this is basically it. I strongly urge you to contact my shop that did it if you are serious about getting it done. The parts will be $1500-2000 depending on if you can find used parts. I would go to www.slidegood.com to buy a lot of used parts, I got my driveshaft and other parts from there.
Hope this helps someone!

Old 09-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Nab
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how was the total cost on the tranny swap??

Old 09-14-2010, 08:37 PM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Canadian
People all over will say don't do the swap, its not worth it, etc. I don't understand this thinking...people spend 10k, 20k doing motor swaps all the time. If you want to spend the money and want a manual without buying a new car - do it! You won't regret it, I know I don't. I just can't wait to hit the track!

I sent this information in a PM to another member:

Hope this helps someone!
Thanks for the post. This is taking longer than expected but the results should be good. Stay tuned!

Old 09-14-2010, 08:40 PM
Canada, eh?

Originally Posted by DEMoLITIoN
Thanks for the post. This is taking longer than expected but the results should be good. Stay tuned!
It always will...good luck! Keep the thread updated.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:24 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Canadian
The swap is all done, but I only had the car for 3 days. It's off for something else now, should have it back in a week or two. Look for another thread of mine shortly.
Last time I was at Paladin they told me that the next time they do the conversion it will save a ton of time and $$$. Sucks that someone had to be the guinea pig and bite the bullet.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:36 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
awesome. Lets us know what the final cost ends up being once it's all said and done. Something i've been interested in doing for a while.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: 5AT to 6MT SWAP.