Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Manual tranny swap to auto. (different I know)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual tranny swap to auto. (different I know)

So I was curious if this was possible and how much (roughly) it would cost + time.
or if anybody had some experience with this?

I know I know....manny to auto..pretty lame... But I have good enough reasons to do so.
First off, these g35 clutches are a pain in the @$$. I cant seem to get good consistent shifts and it just makes me angry. Second off, I get pretty bad ankle pains because I broke my ankle 2 times as a kid and the first time I pretty much ignored it and assumed it was sprained which only caused it to become worse in the future. Now everytime I get done with a long day of shifting my ankle throbs at night and I have to limp around my house. Third off, I really enjoy the triptonic in cars. My brother owns a 2011 3 series bmw and it is a blast driving around and shifting. More fun that normal stick to be honest. Those are pretty much my reasons on wanting to switch to automatic. So no hate please. I realise I can swap but I really prefer not to swap either because I have puts lots of time and effort into my G and I feel like it would be a huge waste if I just swapped it.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Sell it!

Buy another vehicle with an auto

Telcoman

Old 10-11-2013, 06:37 AM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
If you have an 03-04 it may be possible but I'm not sure if it would be possible if you have an 05+ because those cars in 6mt trim come with the revup engine. If you did the swap, you would need the ecu from an auto to control the auto trans. The problem would be that an auto's ecu isn't equipped to detect the sensors for the variable valve timing on your revup engine because the auto g's don't have vvt.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:48 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Look into the RJM adjustable clutch pedal bracket. Big difference in being able to get smooth shifts, and can even be adjusted some to get an easier pedal feel.

Manual G's are pretty rare in comparison to all G's sold, so you're really better off trading it for an auto car. Auto trans control systems are pretty complicated when compared to a 6MT, the wiring alone could be a nightmare.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by psycobusa
If you have an 03-04 it may be possible but I'm not sure if it would be possible if you have an 05+ because those cars in 6mt trim come with the revup engine. If you did the swap, you would need the ecu from an auto to control the auto trans. The problem would be that an auto's ecu isn't equipped to detect the sensors for the variable valve timing on your revup engine because the auto g's don't have vvt.
I own an so that wouldn't be an issue. I feel like it would be a lot easier because more people are willing to switch to manual from auto than what I'm doing so it shouldn't be hard to find all the parts.