Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Diff Change after 4 years

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 03:33 AM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Diff Change after 4 years

Last time I had my differential changed was probably about 4 years ago before I moved from Florida. Well, I just did it tonight and took a picture of my bolt and decided to upload it, so you can see how bad it was! I will definitely be doing this more often now since I plan on keeping this car for as long as possible. It had so much crud on it the pic doesn't even do justice of how it looked when I took it out.

Attached Thumbnails Diff Change after 4 years-img_20131115_215641.jpg  
Old 11-16-2013, 07:31 AM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
Always a good idea to stay relatively close to recommended service intervals (which I think for the diff is something like 30k miles, but double check that, I'm still waking up). Mine was pretty bad when I first did it as well, around 75k. It's not terribly difficult to do and definitely worth keeping up with.

Little side note / piece of advice - when you're going to drain the fluid, always remove the fill bolt first. If you happen to strip or round off that bolt, you want it to happen while the fluid is still in there, not after you've drained it!

Old 11-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by OBsessed
Always a good idea to stay relatively close to recommended service intervals (which I think for the diff is something like 30k miles, but double check that, I'm still waking up). Mine was pretty bad when I first did it as well, around 75k. It's not terribly difficult to do and definitely worth keeping up with.

Little side note / piece of advice - when you're going to drain the fluid, always remove the fill bolt first. If you happen to strip or round off that bolt, you want it to happen while the fluid is still in there, not after you've drained it!
Thanks for the advice I actually did it in the order because I didn't want to end up having that problem. Getting the fluid in sucks though if you don't have the right tool; I bought a cheap siphon pump which didn't do anything. Then tried using gravity and brute force...didn't work so well. After cursing and getting angry since it was 10PM and needed to finish it, I realized I had an extra Motive Power Bleeder laying around. So, I used that to pump the oil in, lol.