Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Strange Hydraulic release sound on first shift

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 10:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Strange Hydraulic release sound on first shift

Hello,

First post on the forums!

My Background:

My names Brett, I'm 24 and I purchased my silver 06 G35 sedan 5AT with 32k miles and now have 52k about 7 months later. I have been driving the car from Phoenix, AZ to San Diego, CA about 2-4x a month to visit my girlfriend and family that recently moved. I since then moved from Phoenix to San Diego so the ever increasing miles have stopped thankfully! So far I love the G35 minus the MPG but I was aware of it before purchasing. I also only give her 76, 91 octane premium gas which is top tier + certified. I average around 375 miles a tank with about 85% HW 15% City driving.

Issue:

For about 2k miles now I have a strange hydraulic release type sound the first shift after my car is turned on and off. It happens if the car is hot/cold, temp outside hot/cold and even if I manually shift it myself. It only happens the very first shift once the car is turned on and off and its every time. It also doesn't matter which RPM the car shifts at the sound/feel is still there. I checked my AT fluid and its red, normal level and smells normal as well. My first and second shifts are on the firmer side, which I hear is normal for this vehicle, but there is no grinding, jerking or anything abnormal except the hydraulic release type sound once it shifts from 1st to 2nd the very first time after turning on. The sound definitely comes from the front driver side of the vehicle but my passenger can notice it as well. I have a warranty I purchased from the dealership, Chapman BMW on Camelback in Phoenix, AZ and it covers all sorts of mechanical issues until 78k miles. I thought it was a good peace of mind purchasing my first real vehicle. I also have a short clip I took of the issue but since I'm currently at work I have no way of uploading it for review.

I have not had a chance to get the vehicle inspected by a mechanic due to a VERY busy seasonal work schedule but wanted to see if you G35 enthusiast had any insight. Overall the car runs very smooth and very quiet minus the slight exhaust growl which I love!

Another issue I am having but its much minor is rear cabin of my car near the 3rd led brake light and bose subwoofer is rattling/clicking. It sounds like both driver and passenger side are making noise. I've tried adjusting the reclining rear seats, seatbelts, the mesh cover on the subwoofer, door handles, trim and armrest but it still makes the annoying sound. It happens with windows up or down also. Any tips on getting this noise eliminated would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Brossi; 01-04-2014 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Added rattling/clicking issue
Old 01-04-2014, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Have you stopped hard before you hear that noise?

It's your ABS charging up. NO WORRIES AT ALL!!!

It's really this simple, it only happens once you hit 5+ mph when you first roll out of the gates hot or cold.

Hope this helps

Old 01-04-2014, 10:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Have you stopped hard before you hear that noise?

It's your ABS charging up. NO WORRIES AT ALL!!!

It's really this simple, it only happens once you hit 5+ mph when you first roll out of the gates hot or cold.

Hope this helps
Thanks for the help btw!

I just am a little confused as to why this was just suddenly start happening? Does this mean that there is something wrong or going wrong with my ABS soon? I typically reverse out of my covered spot, stop completely, put in drive and it happens during 1st-2nd when driving. Should I try pumping my brakes or anything prior to driving? Since I have the warranty I want to make sure there is nothing that could be replaced for $50 vs hundreds or thousands down the road.