Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Easy Ecu Resetting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Resetting the ECU

hrm..."up, down, up, down, left, right, left, right, a, b, start" haha, damn, is this a car or nintindo cheat code?!?!

Old 07-24-2003, 09:03 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeh bro, no doubt it works but what method did you use, the 'Easy' reset, or the battery disconnect? and for how long if it was the Battery disc.?
I reset my ECU about every 2 or 3 weeks (about 300 to 400 miles) and don't allow the learning algo. to soften at all.

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 07-25-2003, 06:01 PM

Today I bought a Napa battery disconnect switch. It just replaces the existing terminal lead and then tightens onto the negative terminal. A quarter turn clockwise and the battery is disconnected. I figure this'll be easier than having to use a wrench. Plus, it offers a second level of theft protection...course, I suppose if the battery is disconnected, the alarm system won't work...so...nevermind 'bout that;-}

-townsley-
2003 Brilliant Silver Premium Sedan

Old 07-29-2003, 08:13 PM

The ECU reset definitely works. I went through the process on my G35 sedan with 16k miles about 15 minutes ago. It is MUCH more aggressive after resetting the ECU using the simple process described in the DYI FAQ.

Feels like new again..

Old 07-30-2003, 07:16 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent! This method is preferable to the battery disconnect,
11 hours 58 minutes quicker and safer (no chance of burning out the
ECU with this method?) Since we had some posters say this method
did not work, we need more G35 owners to try it and report results.

2003 Twilight Blue Sedan 5AT, sunroof, leather,
splashguards, GG red 7 wire Hypergrounding kit, 350Z intake duct(soon), K&N filter.

Old 08-02-2003, 02:02 PM

Tried the easy ECU reset method last night. I had 3600 miles on it. Took awhile to get the timing.

I took it for a run on the freeway immediately after. The engine went frantic on the on-ramp during initial acceleration and jerked and choked. It seemed to adjust afterwards. Got off the freeway then back on towards home, and shfting seemed to be a lot smoother. Less lag between shifting and it seemed to respond better. Never tried the battery method, but this EZ method seemed to work for me...unless the on-ramp incident was a coincidence...I dunno.

Has anyone ever contacted the service staff at Infiniti to confirm if this really does reset the ECU?

2003.5 G35 5AT Sedan, Black Obsidian, Premium, Sport, Nav, Winter, Clear Bra, Huper Optik

Old 08-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Took me 3 tries to time it right to do the easy reset. Noticed a few very abrupt shifts in the auto transmission the next time I drove, so it must have done something. Not sure about any better response from the tranny nor the engine though. I found it more noticeable when I put Hyper-Grounds in the car. Not sure how the easy reset compares with the 12 hr. battery disconnect.

<font color=green>GG</font color=green>

Old 08-05-2003, 07:23 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't you think that Nissan could confirm our
easy ECU reset method? This is getting frustrating,
the Service Advisor hints that the battery disconnect
may burn out the ECU, questions about the effectiveness
of the quick method. How do we go about confirming
with the authorities if this method works?

2003 Twilight Blue Sedan 5AT, sunroof, leather,
splashguards, GG red 7 wire Hypergrounding kit, 350Z intake duct(soon), K&N filter.

Old 08-11-2003, 02:47 PM

I did the ECU resetting, and in my opinion it works I noticed a quick response acceleration, fastest shifts, but the Service Engine Sonn light kept blinking during my first drive until I turn off the car.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by malx on 08/13/03 09:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 08-13-2003, 12:25 PM

Performed the easy ECU setting and noticed quicker shifting. This was great.

2003.5 G35C BL/GR, 5AT, PREM, NAV, SPORT, AERO, TINT

Old 08-13-2003, 04:23 PM
O.F. Administrator

Wjfm1, We're getting some feedback trickle in on the "easy reset" and it seems to be legit. I myself have done it a few times and notice firmer shifting.
Thanks for posting... It's not the easiest procedure to master, but it does seem to work.

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 08-15-2003, 08:40 PM

All of the post have been from the Auto Transmission guys out there. How would the ECU reset help us 6 speed guys? If it is only helping shift points then it won't help us 6 speed guys at all. I will try it to see what it does. I just hope it doesn't turn into an automatic! Just kidding.

Old 08-15-2003, 09:07 PM
O.F. Administrator

Rambo said he noticed some differences when he reset his 6 speed Coupe (and it didn't transmute into an auto, so no worries [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]).
Let us know what diffs you notice. The longer you go between resets, the more drastic the differences if any.
laters

Old 08-15-2003, 10:08 PM

Well I have now done the easy ECU reset on my 2003.5, 6 speed sedan. I have around 17K miles. I use only 91 octane. Mainly used as a commuter car, but luckly I drive a pretty open fwy most of the time. I have a stillen intake and exhaust on the car. Before the easy ECU reset I could do third gear chirps. And at best I could do them about 20% of the time. With the reset the throttle response is awesome. I have never rest the ECU, because I thought that was for the Automatic Trans guys. Let me tell you, I can do third gear chirps everytime now. When I first bought the car I could do third gear chirps around 50% of the time. New tires and all. By the way these tires have only 7K miles on them as the dealer replaced the rims and tires with new ones to solve the pull to the right problem. I have to say by the seat of my pants dyno the easy ECU reset works for the 6 speed sedan. Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Easy Ecu Resetting