Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Easy Ecu Resetting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 05:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Resetting the ECU

Anybody else having problems resetting their '04? I didn't have any problems using the gas pedal reset method on my '03.5 6MT sedan but I am having a problem doing it on my '04.5 6MT sedan. I've tried nearly ten times but haven't been successful so far.

I'm nearing the end of the break-in period and just installed the Z tube and Stillen high-flow airbox/filter. I was hoping to reset the ECU after the break-in period has been completed.

2004.5 Diamond Graphite/Graphite G35 6MT Sedan
Premium Package • Navigation • Splash guards • 350Z intake duct • Stillen high-flow airbox • Underbody diffusers

Old 08-31-2004, 06:15 PM

I tried more than 10 times on my 04.5 sedan. Never worked for me.

2004.5 DG 5AT SEDAN
Aero Sport Premium

Old 09-02-2004, 03:41 PM

Fireball,

Were you holding the clutch in?

Old 09-03-2004, 01:43 PM

Yup. Holding the clutch in...only turning the ignitiion to the "on" position...doors closed...windows closed...sunroof closed...radio on (problem?)...HVAC on (problem?).

I gave up so I disconnected the battery (negative side) overnight for about 14 hours instead.

2004.5 Diamond Graphite/Graphite G35 6MT Sedan
Premium Package • Navigation • Splash guards • 350Z intake duct • Stillen high-flow airbox • Underbody diffusers

Old 09-03-2004, 04:34 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey everyone, I have the idiot question of the day....I had my car along with other fellow proud G owners at the HIN here in Dallas. Well I had the car w/o power for about a good 8-10 hrs. Does this actually reset the ECU. My one huge problem is that after that...my damn gas mileage has turned to shhhh. I've even tried to compesate and drive at lower speeds and it still sucks. Damn G is giving me at best 360-380 mi/tank and that's with the damn gas light just waiting to laugh at me when that last drop of gas hits the injectors.

Old 09-06-2004, 10:05 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Fireball,
As you know, timing is everything with this procedure. Only thing I can suggest is to time your segments with a watch.

As far as the clutch being in or out-- I've heard that it can be done both ways.

<font color=blue>One thing you may not be aware of is that after a failed attempt, you must wait at least 10 seconds with the ignition off before attempting again.</font color=blue>

I time mine this way (without a watch):

Turn ignition on, and immediately count one-one-thousand, two-one-thousand, three-one-thousand, then go right into depressing and releasing the gas pedal 5 times not too fast: (about 1 per second)..
Immediately on completion, do the one-one-thousand thing again -- up to seven. . (you may want to time these 7 seconds with a watch)

At the end of 'seven-one-thousand' , depress and hold the gas pedal.

Withing 10 seconds, the CEL will flash, at which time you release the gas pedal then reapply for at least 10 seconds.
After that, you're done.

Give it a try and let me know how you do.
I suspect your many failures has more to do with not pausing after the first failure.
G/L
Colin

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 12-03-2004, 08:27 PM
Ecu clear

I finally got it to work.

Old 12-09-2004, 12:14 AM
I hate posting into a thread this long but...

Well, I finally tried the process and on the fifth try I got it right. Post reset the car definately feels quicker and specifically the shifts are quicker and tighter (I have a 5AT).

Old 12-09-2004, 02:20 AM
Head 'n Shoulders
I just recet my coupe on my 2nd try doin the "easy" method and there seems to be slightly better acceleration/throttle response. But i am starting to question if it was just in my head though because it felt faster, but not distinctively faster.....i dunno....

im gonna try the 12 hr battery d/c when i have the chance. maybe that will be better

Old 12-14-2004, 12:29 PM
...quietly going crazy counting 1, 2, 3... inside my car...

First of all, thanks for all the board members who sympathize with the few of us who can't seem to nail this ECU reset down (yet!!!). I appreciate the encouragement...but i gotta be honest, I am thoroughly frustrated! I sit in the car and i push that key in...and count and count and nothing ever happens it seems. Its so frustrating to second guess yourself over and over like "oh i did it too fast? or too slow?" I think i tried every possible speed combination i can think of!!! As ridiculous as it sounds, this reminds me of my teenage years when i would play this arcade game called Street Fighter II and all the other kids seemed to know exactly what to do to make the special moves and powers come out and I would always get whupped because i could never get the stupid sequence of movements correctly. ARGHHH...that freaking MIL flash has been my holy grail (at least for this past week) anyway. I just installed my z-tube and i cant help but think that im not going to feel the difference til i teach this dumb ECU to shift aggressively for me.
So anyways, i guess im rambling but im just venting yal. Is it too much to ask for someoen to take a video or mpeg the reset? I just wnat to see the MIL light flash like everybody keeps saying...i just need to see that for some reason.

Old 12-14-2004, 02:35 PM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by gsedanman
I came across this on F/A today and am posting for all to see and try. I haven't confirmed this procedure, yet, either on my car or in my ESM. Will let you know...........

PS.-- I believe the "CES light" they mention is the MIL (check engine)

ECU Reset #1

<font color=blue> If this can be confirmed, I'll move the thread to FYI section</font color=blue>

<font color=green>GSM</font color=green>
Except for the goat blood, this procedure looks exactly the same?
What is new here?

Old 12-17-2004, 06:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my car was idleing strange and kept stalling. the check engine light was on. after about a dozen attempts of the pedal combination i got it to go off, but it didn't fix the problem. it ended up being a problem with the mass airflow sensor. when i did the pedal reset it cleared the error codes and the dealer didn't know what threw the check engine light right away. did more hard than good.

Old 12-19-2004, 02:12 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Repost to delete old date.
-------------------
I came across this on F/A today and am posting for all to see and try. I haven't confirmed this procedure, yet, either on my car or in my ESM. Will let you know...........

PS.-- I believe the "CES light" they mention is the MIL (check engine)

ECU Reset #1

<font color=blue> If this can be confirmed, I'll move the thread to FYI section</font color=blue>

<font color=green>GSM</font color=green>

Old 01-16-2005, 12:37 PM
I just did the pedal ECU reset and I "think" there was a slight improvement in shifting. I have a question though- when I completed the pedal sequence my CEL went out and then started double-blinking, is this normal? It went out when I turned off the car and never came back on again...

Old 01-24-2005, 12:27 PM
Hmm, I guess this thread's too long. Anyone know if it's supposed to double blink?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Easy Ecu Resetting